» Chapter Sixteen «

A paw prodded Kestrelfur's side. She opened her eyes to see Waspfang's smiling face. Her heart fluttered and sparks tingled. "What?"

      "Let's go out," he said in an excited whisper.

      "Like, out of camp?" asked Kestrelfur.

      Waspfang gave a crooked grin. "Yeah!"

      It sounded fun, so Kestrelfur quietly got out of her nest and they exited the den.

      The moon glittered brightly in the sky, lighting up the night. The camp was completely silent. By the dirtplace tunnel, two guards stood by the entrance: Cindertooth and a silver warrior.

      "Why are there guards?" asked Kestrelfur, angling her ears to them.

      "I suggested that we should put guards by the entrance to make sure we don't get attacked again," said Waspfang. "The clan hasn't needed guards before because we haven't been attacked within our own camp for a long, long time. Now that it has happened, I figured it was a good idea to post some guards."

      "Good idea," said Kestrelfur with a smile.

      Waspfang flicked his ear and then turned towards the entrance. He boldly walked forward, and the two guards jumped at his approach.

      "Make it fast," growled Cindertooth.

      Waspfang's grin widened. "I'm not making dirt. Me and Kestrelfur are just going to hang around the territory."

      Kestrelfur came forward at the mention of her name. The two guards relaxed a little when they saw her.

      "Alright," said the silver warrior. "But be careful."

      As they walked through the dirtplace, Kestrelfur wrinkled her nose at the fowl stench; flies buzzed around the dirt. This was the only way in and out of camp, unless you wanted to shove your way through the dense trees and bushes.

      Kestrelfur was relieved when they reached the end of the dirtplace and entered the forest. There were a lot of trees but it was still open to the sky. That's why they were called CloudClan. You could see the clouds from the ground.

      "Come on," said Waspfang with a flick of his tail. He started running through the forest. Kestrelfur followed closely behind him.

      They bolted through the forest, Kestrelfur hot on Waspfang's tail. She used to be a terrible runner, but now after several moons of apprentice training she turned out to be pretty fast. But no matter what, Waspfang was always faster.

      You could see the muscles in his limbs rippling as he bolted. His sleek body moved swiftly through the air, his thick BrookClan-like paws hard on the ground.

      He stopped by a tall tree and let Kestrelfur catch her breath. No matter how hard he ran, Waspfang never seemed out of breath.

      His amber eyes glittered and his whiskers twitched. "There's a good view of the moon from here."

      Kestrelfur looked up and realized he was right. The branches were parted so you could see the moon very clearly. It dazzled brightly in the sky, looking like a larger star.

      Waspfang had a crooked grin in the starlight. "Let's climb this tree!"

      Before Kestrelfur could say something, Waspfang bolted up the tree. He climbed it swiftly, leaping from branch to branch, heading for the top.

      Kestrelfur followed. She dug her claws into the bark and used her hind legs to push herself up. She clenched her teeth, wishing that tree climbing wasn't so hard and exerting. It felt like forever before she finally reached the top of the tree.