» Chapter Twenty-Eight «

Kestrelfur felt sick at Harestar's answer. She really had wished he had just said no. The rumors are definitely true. GladeClan cats are way too trusting.

      Harestar stepped forward. "I have always wondered why the four clans must be divided, why we can't just work together, have peace between us all. I agree with everything that Waspstar has said and I am looking forward to all four clans working together as one."

         Kestrelfur's belly clenched. She wanted to say something about this, some sort of warning, but Kestrelfur wasn't sure what she could say. What was she even supposed to warn him about? Hopefully she was overreacting.

         "I have wanted this united clan to be FlightClan," said Waspstar. "To represent the peace and freedom between us all."

         Harestar nodded. "I think FlightClan sounds like a great name."

         Darkrunner shoved his way forward, standing beside his leader. "Harestar, you can't be serious!" he hissed. "You know how CloudClan are. They only care about themselves; they think they are the boss of the other clans. They probably just want to use us to expand their territory."

         "I agree with Darkrunner for once," said Firepelt, the deputy. He stood on the other side of Harestar, looking a little anxious. He turned to Waspstar. "Do you really think the clans could come together, after all this time?"

         "We just have to convince Stormstar and Newtstar." Waspstar spoke calmly, as though he had planned what words he would use for every question he could be asked. "Once they agree, we will just have to work hard to bring peace. Then, once there is peace between clans, we will never split up again."

         Most GladeClan cats looked totally for it, ready to bring peace. There were a small number, however, who were looking at Harestar as though he had gone crazy.

         "GladeClan has always stood for peace," said Harestar. "GladeClan has always valued friendships between clans. The first GladeClan leader, Gladestar, had built the clan in hopes that we could help others in need when the other clans wouldn't do it. Our ancestors were against fighting, against prejudice. Our ancestors have always wanted the clans to work together. We are GladeClan, and we are supposed to unite with the other clans."

           Hearing this made Kestrelfur feel some sort of guilt, though she had no idea why. If GladeClan was making a big mistake and had the wrong beliefs, that should be their fault.

         "Let's make it official," said Waspstar, turning to Harestar. "Let's become one clan."

--

Kestrelfur felt cramped in the muddy burrow, hoping she would never have to sleep in one. Firepelt sat next to her on one side, with Waspstar on the other and Harestar sitting across from her. She could just tell that Waspstar felt cramped and uncomfortable in the burrow too, but he was doing his best not to show it.

         Her mouth was watering. Kestrelfur really wanted to hunt, sink her teeth into a juicy peace of prey. Her stomach was growling from hunger.

           "We are free to cross each other's territory for any reason," said Waspstar formally, creating the first sanction. "The territory belongs to all of us now, so it doesn't matter if a GladeClan cat is on CloudClan territory or if a CloudClan cat is on GladeClan territory."

         Harestar nodded, forming a sweet smile. "Yes. And mating is allowed across clans. Since we are one now, it doesn't matter if a GladeClan cat mates a CloudClan cat. We are all FlightClan now."