» Prologue «

The tabby kit saw a brilliant, golden light. A warm, fuzzy feeling surrounded him, making him feel safe, relaxed. He yearned for the light. He reached out a paw, wanting to touch it. The light expanded, filling his vision. The light kept growing, getting brighter and brighter and brighter...

      Then color surrounded him. All different shades of greens and browns and blues. The color was even more wonderful than the light. He soaked it all in. It was all too beautiful and glorious.

      He could feel something soft by his paws. He looked down and saw a shade of orange, ginger. The shape was fuzzy and soft. He looked to see where this strange, ginger thing had come from. He realized it was a tail, coming from a bigger, warmer ginger shape. He felt a burst of love toward it, and somehow, he just knew that this was his mother.

      "You opened your eyes!" said the ginger shape excitedly, the sound coming out of her mouth bright, light, and energetic. "Thistleleap, come see!"

      That's when the kit noticed a dark gray shape hanging around the shadows. The kit sat up, knowing this was his father and that he would love him as much as the ginger shape. But he felt a deep, stinging pain of sadness when no expression crossed the gray shape's face.

      "Took him long enough," he said, his voice rough and tired.

      The ginger shape, his mother, seemed a little offeneded. It made the kit feel a gloomier feeling toward his father.

      "He's your son too," said the ginger shape.

      The dark gray shape, who his mother had called Thistleleap, snorted. "He looks nothing like me, Brightwhisker."

      The ginger shape, Brightwhisker, clenched her teeth. Anger flashed in her eyes, making the kit feel something dark and cold that he couldn't yet place.

      "You can't say that of certainty yet. His eyes are still kit-blue, but once they become their natural color they might actually look like yours," she said, her voice hard but smooth.

      Thistleleap looked disbelieving. "He looks too CloudClan. I don't see any BrookClan in him at all."

      CloudClan? BrookClan? The words passed through the kit's head. He felt a yearning for knowledge and understanding. He wanted to know what this CloudClan and BrookClan were. All he knew how to do yet was listen.

      There were several heartbeats of silence between the two. The ginger shape bent down and licked the kit's forehead slowly. She didn't look up as she took a pause. "I just wish that Buzzardkit could've experienced this moment too."

      Sorrow actually dipped into Thistleleap's eyes. It disappeared quickly as he said, "We both knew she wouldn't survive. Milkleaf said herself that when she was kitted she was weak, barely able to keep her heart pounding."

      "Yeah," breathed Brightwhisker, looking up again. "At least Waspkit survived."

      Are they saying I had a sister? wondered the kit. He didn't feel any sorrow. How could he, if he didn't remember her?

      Brightwhisker nudged the kit closer to her in a soft, loving way that the kit liked. Yes. It's a good thing that Buzzardkit didn't survive, otherwise this attention would've been divided. Now it's all mine.

      Thistleleap sat up and got to his paws. "I'm going back to the border."

      The queen's eyes filled with something, like sadness. The kit didn't like that look in his mother's eyes. "You're not leaving yet, are you?" she asked.

      Thistleleap scowled. "I don't belong in CloudClan. I don't like being in this camp. It was fun to see our son, but now I'm leaving."

      The ginger shape opened her mouth to speak, but Thistleleap was already out of the nursery, fading into the busy landscape of the world outside.

      Brightwhisker sighed and drew her son in closer. "At least I have you."

      The kit felt a flash of happiness. Now all the attention is on me. This is just how it should be.

      He looked out of the nursery, where other cats had gathered around a cat sitting on a tall rock. From that moment he knew that was where he belonged. That would be his spot one day, sitting on the tall rock, ordering the other cats around.

      As he watched the cat on the boulder, a flash crossed his vision. He saw another kit, one with mottled brown fur and bright hazel eyes. Sparks tingled under his fur. Right at that moment he knew that the kit he saw was connected to him. He knew that even though she wasn't close by, one day they would see each other.

      It's our destiny, he thought. We will rule this place... CloudClan. And maybe eventually this other clan, BrookClan.

      He felt a strong surge of ambition, knowing that some day they would stand on top of that rock together.

      This is our world now.

A/N::

What do you guys think so far? I'd love any suggestions, and it would be a big help if you could give an editing tip in the comments!

While editing, I really fixed it up. It was exhausting and hard to write from a newborn kit's perspective of what was going on, since he didn't know anything yet. I hope I captured his feelings right.

//Edited