» Chapter Three «

"Wasppaw! Rainpaw! Kestrelpaw! Wasppaw! Rainpaw! Kestrelpaw!"

The chorus rang out through the clan; a sea of cheering cats. Cheering for them.

It made Kestrelpaw feel proud. Important. She was already hitting off on a good note.

It took several minutes before the clan parted and started back on their clanly duties. The only cats left were their mentors. Amberheart and Crowpelt looked excited, but Cindertooth looked as though he felt like an apprentice was a waste of time.

"Today you will just be getting a tour of the territory. You will see the borders and learn to recognize the scent of other clans," said Amberheart with a teacher tone.

Crowpelt nodded his dark gray, almost black head. "Yes. Tomorrow you'll start your apprentice duties, so don't get too excited."

Kestrelpaw wasn't sure what apprentice duties were, but she hoped they were fun. The tone Crowpelt said it with made it sound as though it wasn't worth looking forward to.

The three mentors looked at each other. "Well, I'll take Kestrelpaw to the GladeClan border," said Amberheart. "If you guys want to take your apprentices to—"

"Me and Kestrelpaw stay together," Wasppaw interrupted sternly. "Or else... I'll claw you!"

Cindertooth smirked as though he found the idea ridiculous. Wasppaw shot him a withering glare.

"Alright!" said Amberheart. "Let's not start any fights. Let's just all go together."

Kestrelpaw was flooded with joy. She couldn't wait to see the territory.

All six of them set off, first trekking toward the GladeClan border east of camp. Kestrelpaw was amazed with all the sights. Prey was scurrying through the trees and earth, rustling the branches. There were so many trees, yet the sky was still open to the clouds. She never really imagined what the territory outside the camp was like. She hadn't really thought there was much more land other than the camp. Now she realized their land was much more wide and vast than she could've ever imagined. Everything felt alive. Looking at it all gave her a burst of excitement.

She flicked Wasppaw in the face with her tail. "Race you to that oak!"

As soon as the words came out of her mouth, Wasppaw was off, strongly bounding over there with his muscular limbs. Kestrelpaw had a moments hesitation after Wasppaw, giving her a disadvantage right off the bat. She kicked out her legs and tried to go as fast as she could, but she had never gone at a pace faster than a walk and she found herself tired quickly. Nevertheless, she kept going even though it was clear who was going to win.

A white cat appeared in the corner of her eye. She was surprised to see Rainpaw racing too, and actually doing much better than Kestrelpaw.

Wasppaw was the first to reach the oak. Rainpaw made it just mere seconds before Kestrelpaw. Kestrelpaw was out of breath, her legs feeling numb. Wasppaw looked completely unfazed, and Rainpaw didn't look nearly as tired as her. She had never expected Rainpaw to beat her at anything. The apprentice looked so weak. He was giving her a smug look in which Kestrelpaw returned with a malicious glare.

Wasppaw was prancing on the tips of his webbed toes, smiling wide and showing his teeth. "Aw, yeah! You guys didn't stand a chance. Looks like I already have super-speed skills."

Kestrelpaw playfully cuffed him on the ear. "Stop showing off!"

"Well I can't help it if I'm just naturally amazing," he smugly said back. He striked a pose, standing with his chin up, chest out, one paw raised, and his hind paws back, showing off his muscles.