» Chapter Twenty-Five «

Bones....

      Kestrelfur was reminded of her vision when Waspstar refused to bury the bodies and wanted to keep them in a pile at the center of camp. Kestrelfur—and pretty much everyone else—had a hard time ignoring those lifeless bodies.

      Brightwhisker was crouched by the body of Thistleleap. She had not stopped sobbing since his death. When someone offered her a piece of fresh-kill, she refused to eat it.

      When Kestrelfur walked into the nursery to see Pikekit and Chestnutkit, Morningleaf was shaking as though haunted. Pikekit and Chestnutkit had curious looks on their faces that they couldn't seem to put into words.

      "She's sad," said Kestrelfur, saying the words slowly so that the kits would understand. Pikekit actually nodded, understanding lighting his gaze. Chestnutkit, however, still looked confused.

         "Darkpatch," said Morningleaf, her voice shaking. "I remember seeing claws cutting swiftly through his throat. BrookClan paws had killed him, and BrookClan paws killed the elders."

      Kestrelfur wasn't sure how to reply to that, so she stepped out of the nursery. She wanted to talk to Waspstar, but she hadn't seen him since he had ordered the bodies to be placed in a pile at the center of camp.

      Right as she had the thought, Waspstar appeared from underneath Grand Rock, Nightblaze following him. Waspstar immediately started heading towards her, and Kestrelfur tried to think of how to react to this.

      "I want to speak to you," he said, making Kestrelfur relieved that she didn't have to be the one to speak first. Waspstar turned to Nightblaze. "I'll speak to her alone. Watch the camp."

      Nightblaze dipped her head and padded away.

      "Let's go to the tunnels we found when we were apprentices," said Waspstar. At first Kestrelfur wasn't sure what he was talking about, then she faintly remembered falling into the winding tunnels and declaring them their official hiding space. "Okay."

      Waspstar seemed to have a good memory of how to get there, leading her through the forest and towards the GladeClan side of the territory. He turned to a bush and parted some of the branches, revealing the tunnel. Kestrelfur slid in first, Waspstar following her.

      She could not smell anything except for dust. She tasted the air and also picked up the faint scent of rabbit droppings. Mud and dust squished benath her paws.

      "What I did was for the good of the clan," said Waspstar, his eyes round and sincere. "We both know the elders have no purpose and that my d—Thistleleap was stealing the prey. They're better gone."

      Kestrelfur couldn't respond. She still couldn't believe it. Both elders had seemed full of life at the beginning of the moon, each with personalities. Now they were gone.

      As though sensing her discomfort, Waspstar gently placed his tail on her shoulders. "I really didn't want to kill them. After each death I've faced I've been feeling more and more sick. But in order to make CloudClan strong we'll have to do some things we don't want to."

      "But why?" Kestrelfur blurted out by mistake. "I mean, why can't we just have fun and relax?"

      Waspstar faintly smiled—or maybe he was just pursing his lips; it was hard to tell in the dark tunnel. "Because we're special. StarClan knows our destiny is to make the clans great together. We must stand above the other cats."

      Kestrelfur nodded. She felt better now, knowing Waspstar was also uncomfortable but doing what was best for the clan nevertheless. She licked his cheek as they intwined tails.

      Waspstar shifted his paws awkwardly. "I... have to tell you something."

      "What?" asked Kestrelfur, her fur bristling. It was clearly going to be something huge.

      "Well," began Waspstar. "That sign StarClan sent saying that I should become deputy—the wasp with a fang on it—that was actually me."

      Kestrelfur tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

      "I made it," said Waspstar. "StarClan didn't send any sign. That was all me. I took the bodies of the MarshClan cats I killed and pulled off two of their fangs to make the two signs."

      Kestrelfur felt cold but didn't pull away as most cats would. "But the first sign. How did you get the wasp to stick to the fang without impaling it like the second sign?"

      "I used tree sap," said Waspstar. "I couldn't remember where I had found the tree sap for the second one, so I just impaled the wasp."

      "Hmm," said Kestrelfur, not sure what to think.

      Waspstar pressed his muzzle to her's, and she felt a purr vibrating from her chest. Whatever doubt she had about Waspstar banished at that moment. They stood there with their muzzles connected for many, many heartbeats before breaking apart.

      "Let's go back," said Kestrelfur. "I'm starving."

      "Really?" said Waspstar, forming a small grin. "You just ate not that long ago. Well, alright. We can go back to camp."

      Kestrelfur grinned. "Race you!"

A/N::

This chapter was pretty short compared to some of the previous chapters. So what do you think? Do you forgive Waspstar? Yeah, probably not. Kestrelfur doesn't either, she's just trying to ignore it.

//Edited