» Chapter Twenty-Seven «

Kestrelfur woke with a start, expecting to see Briarwing's dark eyes in her face. But she was back in the warriors' den, laying on her moss nest in the center. Based on how dark it was, the sun had barely risen. Most warriors were still sound asleep, with only a few empty nest.

      She could hear voices outside, and she wondered who was awake so early. Then she remembered that she was supposed to go on the early patrol to convince GladeClan to join them and become one clan. After her dream last night, she really didn't want to do that.

      She got to her paws and stretched. Then she gave herself a few licks, realizing she hadn't groomed in a while. She waited as long as she could before exiting the den.

      "You're late," snarled Sparrowclaw. "What, did you want your beauty rest?"

      Waspstar gave the young warrior a glare, which was enough to make him snap his mouth shut. Kestrelfur didn't care if she was the last one here; she just wanted to get it over with.

      "Watch the clan while we're gone," said Waspstar to Sparrowclaw. "If we're not back in time, just go ahead and assign patrols. Make sure no one acts up."

      Sparrowclaw straightened his shoulders and have a dignified nod. Waspstar looked pleased and signaled them to start moving.

--

When they reached the border the sun was in the sky, making it the orange color of dawn.

      "The GladeClan dawn patrol should be heading off any moment now," said Waspstar. "So if we can, let's try to run into them so it won't look like we're intruding on their camp."

      Waspstar crossed the stream, making sure to put his paws on the stones that allowed them to safely cross. Beechwhisker followed, Grapesplash behind her. Kestrelfur brought up the rear, wondering when would be a good time to get Waspstar alone so they could talk. She wanted to figure out if he really did kill Beetlestar and Briarwing. She had the sinking suspicion he had, but she wanted to check with him to make sure.

      They trekked across the wide, grassy fields. It felt weird to Kestrelfur to be wide in the open without the shelter of trees and bushes.

      Close to the camp they ran into the dawn patrol. A sleek tabby black cat growled and unsheathed his claws. "Ugh, CloudClan cats."

   The one next to him, a small gray tom, patted him with his tail. "Be nice." He turned to the CloudClan cats. "What do you want?"

      "We need to speak to Harestar," said Waspstar warmly.

      The gray tom's eyes widened. "Did something happen?"

      Waspstar shook his head. "No. We just wish to speak to him."

      "Sounds suspicious," growled the black one, his fur bristling. Waspstar did not move or flinch.

      "We'll take you to him," said the gray one, stepping in front of the black one as though trying to cover up his rudeness.

      "Why are we taking CloudClan cats to camp?" asked a small, ginger she-cat who must've been an apprentice.

      "Because they want to speak to Harestar," said the gray one. "My name's Grasstail, and this is Darkrunner—" he gestured to the black tabby cat,"—and Amberpaw." He gestured to the ginger apprentice.

      "Nice to meet you," said Waspstar, dipping his head. It was impossible to read his expression.

      The three GladeClan cats led them the rest of they way to their camp. Once they got there they were met with stares, a mix of happiness, anger, and concern. A tall white and gray tom, Harestar, was standing in the center and watched them approach.

      The GladeClan camp was nothing like CloudClan's camp. All the dens were burrows dug in the ground and instead of the Grand Rock, they had a giant tree stump. Instead of a dirt ground, the ground was just long grass. There were no dense trees and bushes to form a barrier around the camp. It was just out in the open.

      "Why are you here?" asked Harestar, sounding concerned. "Did something happen?"

      "They want to speak to you," said Grasstail.

      "Though they didn't explain why," added Darkrunner, shooting them a dubious glance.

      Harestar blinked at them with curiousity. "Then why are you here?"

      Waspstar padded forward. "Leafbare is coming, and based on how leaf-fall went, we can be sure that leafbare will hit twice as hard. You, of all clans, must understand that, living out in the open."

      Kestrelfur almost nodded, then decided against it, wondering if Beetlestar and Briarwing were right. Maybe Waspstar was making this up as an excuse to rule all the clans.

      Harestar gave a grave nod of understanding.

      "And we have lost so much to border disputes and battles against each other," said Waspstar. "In the past we have lost Darkpatch, Galestar, and Briarwing to this. These losses were for nothing. If the clans worked together those lives would be saved."

      Harestar's eyes widened. "Are you saying we should become one clan? What did Stormstar and Newtstar think about this?"

      "We haven't visited them yet," said Waspstar. "You're the first clan we approached. But think about it. There will be peace between all of us. We wouldn't have to worry about border disputes. We could bring in much more prey with such a vast territory. We could even expand the territory all the way to the Twolegplace. It seems mouse-brained to waste lives on silly border disputes. Why must we be separate?"

      Harestar seemed to consider this. Murmurs ran through the clan.

      "Yeah, why can't we just be one clan?" asked Grapesplash. "Everything would be so much easier." Beechwhisker nodded.

      Kestrelfur wanted to believe it, but she knew Waspstar. He had always dreamed of ruling all the clans. He wouldn't just do this to being peace. There was another reason to it, one that wasn't so peaceful.

      The GladeClan deputy, Firepelt, murmured something into Harestar's ear.

      "We can't do this," said Darkrunner. "We can't trust the other clans. We've always been there for them, but when had they ever been there for us?"

      "He's right!" someone else called out.

      "But it's mouse-brained to be seperated when we can all work together," another called.

      Arguments rang through the clan, making Kestrelfur feel slightly awkward as though she were intruding. Although she found it funny when Grasstail was running over to someone else and tripped and fell on his tail, skidding it through the grass. Blades of wet grass stuck to it, making his tail literally a grass tail. How ironic.

      At last Harestar raised his tail for silence, which quickly came. "I have my answer."

      Kestrelfur leaned in. A part of her hoped that he would say no, but unfortunately the opposite happened.

      "I think it's a fantastic idea."

A/N::

Thank you for reading! Please don't forget to leave your thoughts in the comments and to leave a vote on your favorite chapters!

//Edited