» Chapter Eleven «

Kestrelfur's heart picked up speed. The deputy couldn't have died! Was it true? It couldn't be right, CloudClan won the battle so they shouldn't have had any deaths.

      Someone shot over to Crowpelt. "It's not true!" she cried. "It can't be true!"

      It was the elder, Speckleface. She had smooth white fur with brown specks. Her eyes were full of sadness and grief. She was Briarwing's mother.

      Crowpelt nodded sadly as though not sure what to say.

      "I don't believe it!" Speckleface cried. "I won't believe it until I see her body with my own eyes."

      Crowpelt flicked his tail. "Come if you want, but I'm warning you it might not make you feel better."

      The clan slowly started crowding around the two cats. Murmurs went through the silent camp. The rain poured down harder.

      Beetlestar moved to the front of the crowd and stood in front of Crowpelt and the elder. "Is it true? Did Briarwing really..." he trailed off as though he couldn't say it. His leafy green eyes squeezed shut.

      "Follow me," Crowpelt said quietly, but loud enough for Kestrelfur to hear. The clan followed him through the entrance of camp, past the bushes, and into the forest. Then he stopped in front of a bush and flicked his ear toward it. "She's right behind it."

      It seemed like every cat held their breath as they tried to squeeze through to see her. Several gasps could be heard as they layed eyes on her.

      Rainfoot creeped ahead and Kestrelfur saw him shake his head. "No..." she could hear him say quietly.

      "No!" shrieked the elder Speckleface. "No! My kit! My precious kit!" Crowpelt moved toward her and tried to calm her down, but she swiped him away with a claw. "Don't come near me! Don't come near me! I need to be with my kit!"

      Thunder roared overhead and the wind blew violently as though StarClan themselves were grieving for the dead deputy.

      Kestrelfur squeezed past some cats and finally managed to see Briarwing. No...

      She was lying down in the grass, her amber eyes closed like she was asleep, in a puddle of blood. Her neck was twisted completely backwards with several claw marks cutting deep through her skin. Her pelt was coated in dried blood. Kestrelfur wasn't aware MarshClan could be so cruel.

      She felt numb as she walked away from the body with the rest of the clan. Only Speckleface and Beetlestar lingered, hunched over her body.

      Cold seeped through Kestrelfur's bones, both from the chilly rain and from the horrors of the battle. What MarshClan cat was cruel enough to claw someone's neck like that? Then she thought of Waspfang, who had done the same thing to the white tom. She hadn't even known his name. Was he the deputy? Was MarshClan mourning the same way as them? She highly doubted it; after seeing the battle today MarshClan seemed too cruel to be able to mourn. Their hearts were dark like the swamps. They could feel no sympathy.

      Kestrelfur suddenly longed to see her mother, Morningleaf. Where was she? She wasn't at the battle. Kestrelfur started towards the medicine den and had to shove her way past several injured warriors and apprentices.

      Inside the scent of herbs was strong, making her wrinkle her nose. There were several moss nests in the corner, most empty but some had sick cats on them. The sick cats with whitecough and greencough.

      Sure enough, like she had suspected, Morningleaf was lying in one, shivering and sneezing.

      Kestrelfur felt bad to see her mother in such a horrible condition. Maybe playing a prank will make her feel better, she thought. She slowly smiled and crouched low to the ground and started creeping towards her mother's nest. She was asleep, not noticing that someone was creeping up on her. When close enough, Kestrelfur rubbed her tail over her mother's face. Morningleaf sat up with a start and Kestrelfur let out a mrrow of laughter.

      "Oh, you've grown so much," Morningleaf said, pride filling her gaze. "I'm so glad you're safe."

      "Where have you been?" asked Kestrelfur, trying to avoid a sappy moment.

      "I haven't been able to see you much since you have become an apprentice," she said. "I really wanted to see your warrior ceremony, but Cherrynose ordered me to stay here and rest." She gave a tired cough.

      "Well, you could've sneaked away."

      Morningleaf rolled her eyes. "You have not changed at all since you were a kit." She frowned fearfully. "Are you in pain. Did the battle scare you?"

      "Of course not," said Kestrelfur, puffing out her chest. Though inside she felt weak and tired. More than anything she wanted to curl up next to her mother. Don't be mouse-brained, she thought. I'm a warrior now and I need to be brave and strong.

      "Well, please let Cherrynose examine your injuries," said Morningleaf fearfully. "I don't want you to get an infection or bleed to death. Your father was just like you and he died in a battle long ago." She wheezed.

      "Mom, I'm fine," said Kestrelfur. "Please stop worrying."

      Morningleaf sighed. "I know. It's just... I can't lose you too." Her eyes filled with grief and pain. She coughed. "Darkpatch was an amazing warrior. Clever and funny. But in battle that's what got him killed. Please be careful. Don't talk to any cat from a different clan."

      Kestrelfur was startled by this, so she nodded quietly.

      "Hey!" exclaimed Cherrynose, running inside. "What are you doing? This is for sick cats only. If you want your injuries treated, go outside!"

      Kestrelfur nodded and padded out of the medicine den, ignoring Cherrynose whose fur was fluffed up.

      Why was the clan so full of grief? So Briarwing died, but that's no big deal. Life would move on. The world wasn't over. Why couldn't everyone just be happy and play?

      After getting treated by Cherrynose, she grabbed a skinny mouse from the pityful fresh-kill pile and sat down next to Rainfoot, who was lost in silence.

      The quiet clan and the pouring rain was driving Kestrelfur nuts. She had to do something. She looked over at the squirrel Rainfoot had and swiped it away from him just as he leaned down to take a bite.

      "Hey!" he said, looking at her sternly. "Give it back!"

      Kestrelfur grinned and kept it under her paws. Rainfoot tried to swipe it back with a paw, but Kestrelfur quickly moved away. Whenever he moved forward Kestrelfur would move away. Rainfoot whined in frustration.

      Then a familiar scent caught her nose and sparks tingled under her fur. They both looked up to see Waspfang padding toward them with a crazy grin on his face.

      "So," he said. "What did I miss?"

A/N::

This was a pretty depressing chapter... until the end. Oh, Waspfang, Waspfang, Waspfang. XD Anyway, as usual, I'd like to know if you have any predictions in the comments! If you have any tips or find any grammar/spelling mistakes, feel free to let me know!

Photo above from pinterest.com; I have edited it

//Edited