» Chapter Two «

The tom surged towards her, and Kestrelkit was too stunned to react. He was handsome, almost too handsome to be real. He seemed more like a StarClan cat.

      Then the tom stood right in front of her. Kestrelkit felt sparks surging through her entire body, rippling up her spine, tail, whiskers, and limbs.

      "Do you know me?" he asked. The sparks surged again. His voice was strong and commanding, just like a leader. Kestrelkit loved it.

      "I've seen you in my dreams," said Kestrelkit, not knowing what else to say. The tom nodded.

      "I'm Waspkit," he replied. Waspkit. That was one of the names she had thought of! She was right about something.

      "Aren't you going to tell me yours?"

      The sparks kept surging through Kestrelkit's body, making it hard to think. Did he feel the sparks too? His fur was fluffing up, so maybe he did.

      Waspkit smiled. "Is it a hard one? 'Cause I'm sure I can figure it out."

      "It's Kestrelkit," she said. The sparks diminished a little after saying that.

      Waspkit grinned. "Well it's good to officially meet you. I wasn't sure if you were real or not, but now I know you are. Where have you been? I've never seen you in the nursery."

      Kestrelkit sighed just for effect. "My mother was scared or stressed or something, so she kept me inside a hollow just by the dirtplace all these moons. This is my first time out for something besides making dirt."

      Waspkit laughed. It was a strong, healthy one. "Oh, I've seen that hollow before! To be honest I thought I felt something inside there, but I didn't bother looking. I must've felt you."

      Rainkit cleared his throat. "Um, excuse me. What are you talking about? This doesn't make sense."

      Kestrelkit and Waspkit turned to each other and rolled their eyes. Apparently both of them found Rainkit annoying.

      Just then a horrible odor flew up Kestrelkit's nostrils. It smelled almost like a cat, like CloudClan, but much worse. It reaked something awful, she just couldn't pin point what it was.

      It was coming off of a dark gray cat with eyes like Waspkit, strong like fire but clear at the same time. His shape didn't look the same as all the CloudClan cats. His pelt looked more sleek but thicker at the same time. His shape was wider but still appeared lean. It was peculiar to Kestrelkit.

      Next to her, Waspkit groaned. "Just ignore him."

      She turned to him. "Do you know who that is?"

      Waspkit nodded. "Unfortunately. That's Thistleleap, my dad."

      "Ohhhhh," said Kestrelkit. "Why does he look so different?"

      "He's an ex-BrookClan cat," he said, the words coming out with a growl. There was something different about Waspkit now. Kestrelkit looked down and noticed he had his claws unsheathed and digging into the dirt, his tail was thrashing behind him.

      She tried to think about what he had just said. BrookClan was a bordering clan from what she remembered. They were named so because their territory was more water than land and they survive off of the fish in the rivers, streams, and ponds in their territory. BrookClan cats were natural swimmers. Was that why Thistleleap was shaped differently? Did he have the body of a swimmer?

      Did that mean that Waspkit is half BrookClan? The question that had popped into her head surprised Kestrelkit. She was curious and looked at him. He looked more like a CloudClan cat, but she noticed something different in his paws. Without trying to be noticeable, she squinted at them. They appeared thicker than any other paws, and there was something between his pads. Were those webs?