» Chapter Eighteen «

A cold wind blew, making the trees rustle under the full moon. Tonight was the Gathering, the only time the clans were at a truce and could greet each other as friends instead of enemies.

Kestrelfur padded beside Waspfang, who had his shoulders back and chest puffed out. Since Beetlestar had blackcough, Waspfang had to fill in for him at the Gathering.

Kestrelfur was bubbling with excitement. This was her fourth Gathering overall, but her first one as a warrior. She was excited to hear what the other leaders had to say, though none of the other clans seemed as interesting as CloudClan.

"Do you think MarshClan will be mad?" asked Kestrelfur.

"Probably," grunted Waspfang. "But if they are we could easily take them."

"Hmm," said Kestrelfur with a smile, imagining a full-scale battle happening in front of all the clans. It would be chaotic, but kind of cool. Well... actually, that wouldn't be very good.

Waspfang shrugged, looking more playful now. "It's weird how it's so cold out here in greenleaf. Though I guess leaf-fall is just around the corner."

"Yeah," said Kestrelfur, slapping him in the face with her tail.

They left their territory and entered the Unclaimed territory, south of all the clans. That was where the Moonboulders and the Star Tree was, where the Gathering would be held.

      When they arrived by the massive tree, all the clans had already arrived but GladeClan. All the clans were mixed together. The senior warriors went to meet with their friends, younger warriors tried to make new friends. The three youngest CloudClan apprentices: Sparrowpaw, Nightpaw, and Chervilpaw were at their first Gathering and were looking around with awe.

      "Hey there," said a silver she-cat, padding up to Kestrelfur. They had met two Gatherings ago. Her name was Falconpaw and she was a BrookClan apprentice.

      "Let's see if I can get this right this time," she said. Every Gathering she accidentally called Kestrelfur Brownpaw. "Your name is... Kestrelpaw, right?"

      "Actually it's Kestrelfur now," said Kestrelfur proudly, flicking an ear.

      Falconpaw's eyes widened. "Aww, lucky. Perhaps by next Gathering I'll be a warrior. I wasn't apprenticed much later than you."

      A new scent wafted into the clearing as the GladeClan cats filed in and their leader climbed the boulders surrounding the tree.

      "Let's go find a spot to sit up front," said Falconpaw eagerly. Kestrelfur didn't care where they sat, so she followed along.

      The four leaders climbed onto the four large rocks, each the size of the Grand Rock, that surrounded the Star Tree. Their deputies sat right below them, and the medicine cats sat at the very front. Waspfang stood on CloudClan's rock since Beetlestar wasn't there, looking just as tall and commanding as a leader. Next to him Stormstar, the leader of MarshClan, was glaring at him suspiciously.

      The cats started quieting down to hear what the leaders had to say. Waspfang immediately started speaking before any other leader could.

      "I have recently been made deputy after Briarwing was found dead. Beetlestar hasn't been feeling well and, since I'm the deputy, I'm filling in for him."

      "That's terrible news!" said Harestar, the leader of GladeClan. "I hope Beetlestar starts feeling well and that Briarwing is welcomed among StarClan."

      Several other GladeClan cats murmured agreements, while BrookClan and MarshClan remained silent.

      "GladeClan," muttered Falconpaw. "They're way too caring to the other clans. In battle they wouldn't be able to lay a scratch on any of us."