» Chapter Thirteen «

It wasn't long before moonhigh when Beetlestar's voice echoed around the camp, calling a clan meeting.

The warriors' den went noisy as warriors rustled around and climbed out of their nests. Kestrelfur's heart was thumping with excitement as she climbed out of her moss nest.

"Who do you think will be deputy?" asked a she-cat next to her. She had sleek gray fur with bright green eyes. "I think it'll be Duskleap. I mean, why would StarClan choose someone who just became a warrior, like, two days ago?"

"Oh, it'll be Waspfang," said Kestrelfur with a smirk.

The she-cat flicked an ear. "And just what makes you think that?"

"Because he's special," said Kestrelfur. "He's much better than you or any other cat in this clan. He could easily take you down in a fight." She stuck her tongue out.

"Ugh, I hate new warriors," said the she-cat, padding away.

Kestrelfur climbed out of the warriors' den and joined the crowding cats. Beetlestar and Cherrynose were sitting down on the Grand Rock. It was impossible to read their expressions.

Rainfoot padded up next to Kestrelfur. "What are the chances of Waspfang becoming deputy?" he asked her in a low voice.

"He'll probably be deputy," said Kestrelfur. She had little doubt in her mind that he wouldn't be chosen.

"It is time to appoint a new deputy," announced Beetlestar. "I hope that Briarwing's succesor will set a good example to the clan."

The statement sounded odd, but Kestrelfur didn't think much of it.

"Cherrynose has spotted another omen," said Beetlestar. "This one is a wasp being impaled by a fang. We've had two similar omens. Me and Cherrynose think it's clear what StarClan is trying to say."

Noise erupted through the clan. "He was just made a warrior!" shouted Cindertooth. "He can't be made deputy so soon! He hasn't even been a mentor!"

"And his father is from BrookClan!" someone added.

Beetlestar straightened up. "I know. But StarClan believes he should be deputy, so I believe he should be deputy too."

"But Duskleap should be deputy!" someone shouted.

"StarClan clearly wants Waspfang to be deputy," said Beetlestar calmly. "So he'll be deputy."

"But he hasn't been a mentor yet!" the clan kept shouting. "He's half-clan! Beetlestar, have you gone mouse-brained?"

"This is no longer up for debate," said Beetlestar. "Me and Cherrynose believe Waspfang should be deputy."

The shouting started quieting down. "Thank you. Waspfang, please step up."

The crowd parted and gave Waspfang a pathway to Grand Rock. Waspfang's face was emotionless as he walked through the crowd. His muscles bulged with every step; his chest was puffed out.

He stood in front of Beetlestar and looked up at him with pride in his eyes.

Beetlestar spoke, "I say these words before StarClan, so that the spirits of our warrior ancestors may hear and approve of my choice. The new deputy of CloudClan is Waspfang. I hope his bravery and strength will do some good for the clan."

Kestrelfur started chanting his name, with a few others joining in, however, most of the camp remained silent.

"Thank you," said Waspfang, his voice loud and commanding. He turned to face the crowd. "I will work hard to make CloudClan stronger and boost apprentice training. I will make sure that everyone in the clan is working hard to improve their skill all the time. CloudClan will be stronger."

Some cats gave nods of approval. "Tomorrow," said Waspfang, "I will make sure that every warrior is put on a patrol. I will make sure that every apprentice is training. I will make sure that MarshClan, or any clan, won't attack us again."

Some cats nodded an agreement. Then the crowd started to part and everyone started going back to their den.

Kestrelfur wanted to go and congratulate Waspfang, but Beetlestar was talking to him. Oh, well, he didn't need to be congratulated anyway.

"I hope StarClan knows what they're doing," said Rainfoot as they padded back to the warrior's den.

"Why do you say that?" asked Kestrelfur.

Rainfoot shrugged. "Well, Waspfang is just a little... self-centered. He cares only about himself."

"And why is that a problem?" said Kestrelfur as she nudged him.

Rainfoot shook his head. "Never mind. Forget I said anything."

He quickly padded away as though uncomfortable. Kestrelfur smiled. "Wimp!" she called out.

Kestrelfur layed down in her nest and closed her eyes. However, she couldn't fall asleep. She couldn't stop thinking about what Rainfoot said. Waspfang is a little self-centered, she thought. And arrogant. But what's the problem with that? Nobody's perfect, not even someone with a destiny....

--

The grass waved as a soft wind blew. Leaves spiraled through the air.

There were no trees, no scent of cats, no rocks or stones. Just grass, wind, and leaves. Stars hung in the sky, shining brightly like a thousand suns.

Kestrelfur tasted the air and felt like stars were collecting on her tongue. The air tasted cold, but calm. Peaceful, even.

Kestrelfur took a few steps through the grass. It wasn't rough under her paws, but soft like moss.

Another soft wind blew, ruffling her fur. She was confused, wondering how she got here.

Pawsteps. There was someone behind her. She turned around and saw Briarwing. Her brown pelt was sparkling like stars and her eyes glittered softly like a creek.

"Briarwing...," said Kestrelfur, her voice slurring. "I thought you were dead."

Briarwing flicked her tail. "Beware."

"What?" asked Kestrelfur, barely able to speak the words. She felt fatigued, like it took all her might to open her eyes again after every blink.

Briarwing narrowed her eyes. "Beware the one who doesn't belong where he is."

"What...does that mean?" asked Kestrelfur, swaying. There was a twist in her gut as she realized something was wrong. "Where am I?"

Briarwing turned her head away. "Sometimes the right choice isn't easy."

"Why..." muttered Kestrelfur. Suddenly her legs couldn't hold her, and she was lying in the soft grass, curling up like she was in a nest. Briarwing disappeared, vanishing from sight.

The world went dark as she heard Briarwing's voice echo one last warning.

"Beware..."

A/N::

Yep, Waspfang's deputy now. Do you think this will be good or bad? What do you think Briarwing's warning means? As usual, leave predictions in the comments!

//Edited