» Chapter Five «

"I don't see how you can fight me. I'm much faster than you," said Kestrelpaw, sticking her tongue out. She tried to act brave. Unbothered by this. But deep down she was terrified; she fought to make her face look calm, maybe even a little happy.

"We're going to take you to Stormstar," said the brown one. "Then he will decide how many scars you'll have."

The three MarshClan toms took a few steps closer to her. Kestrelpaw temporarily forgot she was supposed to act brave and took a few steps back.

"You guys don't look like you can fight me," said Kestrelpaw. "You might need some reinforcements." Kestrelpaw knew that if she could convince them they needed reinforcements, at least one will have to go and get them. Then there would just be two left, and perhaps she could fight her way out then.

"You're an apprentice and a lousy hunter," the third one spoke up for the first time. He looked the least threatening out of all of them, but he still looked terrifying with his ragged gray fur and wild green eyes. "I think the three of us will do just fine."

They took more steps forward, and Kestrelpaw took more steps backward. She could feel the cliff behind her. Could she jump across? She didn't dare turn her head back and away from the toms to check.

"Come on," hissed the brown one. He unsheathed his claws and slowly padded towards Kestrelpaw. She couldn't back away much further without slipping off the edge.

"Come on," she said. "Let's talk this out."

A ginger shape hurtled past her and barreled into the brown tom. They tangled together. The other two took steps closer to him as though unsure if he needed help.

Then the brown tom pinned the ginger tom on the ground. It was Wasppaw!

That did it. Kestrelpaw felt sparks ignite deep inside her, like a rampaging fire. Everything happened in a blur. Suddenly she was hurtling through the air, right at the brown tom. She raked her claws down his back, cutting open flesh. Hot and sticky blood slid onto her claws. She backed away from the tom, surprised. Did I just do that?

"Timberthorn!" yowled the gray tom. "Do you need help?"

"Yes you toad-brains!" snapped the brown tom, Timberthorn. "Get that foolish CloudClan apprentice!"

The two other MarshClan toms leaped at Kestrelpaw. Kestrelpaw felt anxiety clawing at her belly but pushed it away. I can't be afraid. I need to focus.

Last second she leaped out of the way. The MarshClan toms looked confused once they landed, looking around.

"She's right there!" snarled Timberthorn. "Do you have bees in your brains? Get her, you—"

He was cut off when Wasppaw kicked up with his hind-legs. It distracted Timberthorn for a second and in that moment Wasppaw was able to slip out from his grip.

"Go," yowled Wasppaw. He started racing towards the boulder bridge, and Kestrelpaw followed behind him.

"Don't let them escape," called Timberthorn. Then the two other toms started racing after them.

"Hurry," said Wasppaw. "We can make it."

Yes, thought Kestrelpaw. We're going to make it. StarClan wouldn't let us be caught. We're special.