» Chapter Thirty-One «

The rest of the day went by in a blur. Kestrelfur could not think of anything else besides talking to Waspstar. She would have snuck across the border if she wouldn't see him tonight.

Everyone else's mind seemed to be on Firepelt. Harestar had not come out of his den once since he had heard the news. Usually he would go on a patrol or do some drills, but that day he didn't do anything. He just sat in his den, only coming out once to grab a piece of fresh-kill.

The moon was starting to rise in the distance, and everyone knew that it was time to go to the Gathering. They crowded around Harestar's den, waiting for him to come out.

Grapesplash stood next to Kestrelfur, his apprentice on his other side.

"Will I be able to go to the Gathering?" asked Redpaw, licking a paw anxiously.

"Yes, we're all going," said Grapesplash. "Tonight we'll be able to go back to CloudClan, thank StarClan. Not that GladeClan isn't nice." He added the last part after receiving a few looks from GladeClan cats.

At last Harestar came out of his den. His pelt was clean, which was surprising considering that he had stayed in his den all day. His shoulders were back as he leaped up onto the giant tree stump—from which Kestrelfur figured out was called Great Stump, much like CloudClan's Grand Rock. Even though he looked like a proud clan leader, there was a sadness in his eyes.

"Cats of GladeClan and CloudClan," Harestar announced. "There is a Gathering tonight, and I have already picked who will represent GladeClan. All the CloudClan cats will go and return back to CloudClan once it's over—which includes Kestrelfur, Grapesplash, and Redpaw. The cats from GladeClan who will represent us include Mudcloud, Darkrunner, Echoshine, Fawnbreeze, Badgermask, Furzeclaw, Flowertail, Gooseleaf, Birchpaw, and Swiftpaw."

Kestrelfur itched to get going.

"The rest of the cats will just sleep and relax until we get back," said Harestar. "And we'll hopefully be returning with more news about Firepelt." There was a pang of sadness in his voice as he said his former deputy's name.

--

Once they had reached the Star Tree CloudClan and BrookClan were already there, MarshClan being the only one absent.

The GladeClan cats filed in and mixed in with the other clans. Grapesplash immediately went over to the CloudClan cats; Redpaw met up with her littermates, Emberpaw and Vixenpaw, and they seemed to talk quickly and excitedly to each other.

Kestrelfur craned her neck and saw Waspstar sitting on one of the giant rocks. She immediately started heading towards him, shoving her way past the cats in her way.

"Hey, Kestrelfur!"

Kestrelfur stopped when Falconpaw jumped in front of her path, an excited gleam in her eyes. The scent of BrookClan filled her nose, and she wrinkled it.

"Guess what!" Falconpaw didn't pause for an answer. "I finally got my warrior name. I'm Falconcry now! It took me a little longer than I anticipated, but it was worth it."

"Good job," said Kestrelfur. And she really meant it. "But I have to talk to Waspstar first. I'll talk to you more later."

Falconcry looked a little crestfallen for a second, then her gaze brightened. "Okay! I'll wait for you in the section behind Newtstar's rock."

Kestrelfur continued moving forward. She had to maneuver between cats and shove her way ahead, but she finally reached the rock he was sitting on.