Lancelot: The True Knight Of Camelot

Comenzar desde el principio

"Don't you say that, Samantha!" I leaned back at the harsh sound of his voice as he came right up to the cell door. "If we had never met, that creature would've killed you and I could not have lived with myself. I'm glad we met, that I met Merlin. You're not to blame. The choice was mine. My punishment is mine to bear, and mine to bear alone. Not yours and not Merlin's."

I suddenly felt a smile break through my sadness at knowing Lancelot did not blame me for losing his reputation and knighthood. But in my heart, I knew that no matter what he would be the best and truest knight that Camelot would ever know. The unfortunate part being he would have to wait a long time for it to be possible.

With a deep breath, I said, "You may not believe it, sitting in here, but I know that when Arthur is king you'll get another chance. You are a knight at heart, my friend. I just wish there was something I could do."

"There is," Lancelot gently took my hand that was holding the bar and finished, "You can stop blaming yourself and tell Merlin the same thing."

We shared a smile until a guard came up behind me and tapped my shoulder. I looked up and nodded so he knew I understood that my time was up. I said goodbye to Lancelot, but as I walked away I heard him softly call out, "I believe you, my friend." I turned back and my last sad tear disappeared with a wink.

I headed back to the Physician's Chambers with a lifted heart and the hope of easing the guilt I know Merlin must be feeling. Just as I knew that Gaius was rubbing the fact that he was right - again - in his face. Merlin looked up from his book the moment I walked in the room. In the next moment, he abandoned his reading and ran over to me.

"How is he?"

I cleared my throat and answered, "He's um... He's doing much better than you or I would be, I think. Somehow in losing his dream he didn't lose himself. So that's good... since it's our fault he's down there. But he doesn't want us to blame ourselves! He told me to tell you that."

"Still, I'm the one who created the fake seal," Merlin murmured to himself.

I touched my brother's arm and said sternly, "Did you not hear me? Blame is not welcome here. What we need to do is figure this out. And we will."

Merlin sighed and caught my gaze. I held him there until he relinquished enough guilt to nod in agreement. Wanting him to feel even better, I teased, "Did you just smile? Gaius! The sun gets to rise again because Merlin has graced us with a smile!"

I laughed when Merlin glared and shoved me over to the potions. "Shut up."

"If you two are done, I need to tell you something," declared our adopted uncle. We walked over to him as he stated, "Come and take a look at this. I realized my mistake. I've been looking for the creature in the wrong place, in the records of all known living things in the kingdom. And then I thought, what about creatures only recorded in legend? In myth? Then I discovered this."

I looked at the picture he was pointing to in the book. I instantly recognized it as it had the wings of an eagle and the body like a lion. "That's it. That's the monster Lance saved me from." I pointed to its name and read, "A Griffin."

My head snapped forward at the sudden sound of warning bells. I ran to the window with Merlin and Gaius to see people running wildly around the square. I gasped at the sight of the griffin's shadow as it flew over the castle. I slowly turned and said, "It's here. The griffin's in Camelot."

At the sound of panic, I instinctively ran outside and made my way to the gardens. The people I worked with were always outside and usually near the castle walls...now vulnerable to attack. I had to do whatever I could to protect them. When I arrived at the gardens, it felt like I was too late. My boss, Mrs. Grover, was nowhere around and that wasn't like her. I looked over the grounds to see that many didn't show up, understandably, but Tom - Tom who was so faithful to trimming the vines from the castle walls - was busy at work.