Chapter 29

Deva did the best she could to avoid Darius. She knew anywhere he was Red would be too, and she just couldn't take looking at them like a couple. It should have been her in Red's place. The blistering heartache made Deva build back all of her defensive walls Darius had torn down. She just wanted to feel numb again. It was easier in the beginning when she didn't care, when she wouldn't let anyone get close to her.

Deva entered the kitchen and immediately regretted not checking before walking in. Red was seated in a high chair with Darius beside her. His half smile was transparent. Deva could see how forced it was. Yet she had to give it up to him. He was trying.

Red was leaning over ushering a spoon full of some kind of food towards Darius' mouth. Deva wanted to barf.

"Wow Darius I didn't know your hands weren't working."

Red scrunched up her face at the sound of Deva's voice. Was it wrong of Deva to feel some sort of satisfaction? Her presence was just as intolerable. Their feelings for each other were mutual.

"What are you going on about?"

Darius pressed his back against the chair and exhaled. He feared the tension between the two of them would never go away.

"Are you practicing on Darius until the baby actually comes?" Deva opened the fridge and grabbed the bottle of grape juice.

"Yes and every night too."

Red's blunt attempt at hurting Deva worked. She froze as the image of them lying in bed together haunted her thoughts. It stung more than she'd ever let on.

"Shouldn't you have your head over a toilet puking out your guts right now?" Deva asked referring to her morning sickness.

"I feel fine actually. Thanks for your concern." She turned to Darius giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Darius has been taking good care of me."

Deva couldn't be upset. She had no right to be. Darius was trying to be helpful to the woman carrying his child. She would be stupidly selfish if she thought anything wrong with that.

Darius rose from his seat. "Deva we're needed in the throne room. There are a few ongoing trials that need to be taken care of."

"Right," Deva had completely forgotten about the trials.

In order for the remaining girls to get a feel of the kingdom and develop an understanding of the people, the King decided they should spend the afternoon in the throne room.

It amused her that the King hadn't announced her as the next queen yet. He was dragging Julia and Evie into everything hoping to lessen the pressure on Deva. It was working. It let Deva settle into a calmer groove.

In the hall, she felt the warmth from Darius' body walking too closely beside her and it sparked old memories.

"How are you feeling?" Darius wanted nothing more than to hear her voice.

"Sober." Her flat voice held no emotion.

The King and Queen sat tall and dominant in the massive gold throne chairs. The throne room was half the size of the ballroom with marble pillars surrounding the edges. Vampires were already gathered around the sides of the room awaiting their turn or just there to witness. Three elegant chairs were set in the front for Deva, Julia, and Evie to sit on while the trials were being handled.

They watched as vampires came to plead their requests. Since the King and Queen were soon leaving the throne, the princes were left making the decisions. The three princes stood broad with fierce expression of intimidation as they listened to each desperate vampire and human. The brothers took turns giving their answer and when a simple request came through they would ask the girls their opinion.