Chapter 16

"Mia, there's mail for you", I hear my dad call as I'm lying on my bed writing in my journal, something that my therapist thought would help me deal with my emotions and work through situations that I don't want to talk about.

"Coming, Dad", I reply, wondering who would be sending me mail.

I jot down a few quick notes in my journal, so that I don't lose my train of thought, before I jump off the bed and head down to the kitchen.

Gillian's cooked a lovely breakfast and the delicious aroma wafts through the house, making my tummy grumble before I even enter the kitchen.

As I enter the kitchen I'm greeted by a breakfast table laid out with bacon, eggs, sausage, mushrooms, toast and freshly squeezed orange juice. My dad and Gillian are deep in conversation, and it is only then that I notice just how good they'd look as a couple. I wonder if there's anything going on between them?

"Good morning", I greet as I enter and both my dad and Gillian stop their conversation to greet in unison.

"Wow, Gillian! You've really outdone yourself", I compliment her, "Thank you so much."

Gillian's smile broadens a bit more. She's always looked after my dad and me, being such an important part of our family for so many years. I've noticed how she and my dad look at each other. They clearly have feelings for one another, although I've never seen them act on it.

I dish a plate of food for myself and join them for breakfast.

Just then Christian opens the kitchen door, and my heart starts bouncing so vigorously, I'm afraid it might bounce right out of my ribcage. I feel butterflies in my stomach. I've never felt this way about anyone before.

"Good morning, Mia", he greets and seems to have eyes only for me, "you look beautiful today."

"Good morning, Christian. Thank you." I can't think of anything else to say because I'm too conscious of my uncontrollable blushing.

"Help yourself to some breakfast Chris and please join us", my dad offers.

What is wrong with me? Why do I act this way when he's around? Stop acting like a silly teenager, Mia!

"Here you go, Mia", my dad says as he hands my mail to me, "Here's your mail."

I take the envelope from him, wondering who it could be from. I notice that my name is typed on the envelope.

I can feel all eyes on me. I try to keep a straight face as I open the envelope.

I frown whilst reading the letter.

I let out an excited yelp half way through reading the letter, and everyone nearly fall off their seats.

"What?!", gets thrown my way by all three mouths connected to the pairs of eyes staring me down.

"I don't believe it... I got in." I slowly shake my head from side-to-side before releasing another uncontrollable screech. "I got in!" I cover my face with the letter and let out a little scream before I give in to the laughter erupting from deep within my tummy. All whilst stamping my feet as I sit at the breakfast table.

Only when I open my eyes and see the three faces looking at me in shock, do I remember that I'm still sitting at the table, with three very eager onlookers wanting to know exactly what I'm going on about.

"We're dying here", Christian says mockingly, pointing to my dad and Gillian, "could you please tell us what it is that we just witnessed?"

"I got in", I state and then remember that they have no idea what I'm talking about. "Well... as you all know, I applied for an intern position at a publishing house. I'm not too sure if I want to be a journalist or an author, so I thought that this internship might help steer me in the right direction. This letter is from Kepler Publishing House, letting me know that I was chosen, along with five others, for the annual internship that they offer. And, at the end of our three-month internship they will choose one of us to stay on as a permanent staff member."

I see the delight in my dad's eyes as he smiles at me and says, "I'm so proud of you, Mia."

"You go girl!", Christian yells as he jumps up and grabs me in a huge bear hug.

As I sit back down at the table, I hear a sniff to my right and see Gillian wiping her cheek with the back of her hand. "Are you okay?", I ask as I pass her a napkin from the table.

"Oh yes, I'm fine", Gillian says as she takes my hand in hers and smiles, "I'm just so happy for you, Mia. You might not realise this, but you're like a daughter to me. Every day I pray for God's protection and guidance over you, and it is so humbling to see all my prayers come true. I love you so much and I couldn't be happier for you. These are truly tears of joy."

"Thank you for always being there for me, Gillian", I say as a tear runs down my cheek, "you might not know it, but I do notice everything that you do for my dad and me. We are so lucky to have you in our lives."

I lean in and give Gillian a hug, happy to share this special moment with all of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another wall broken down by Mia. I'm so proud of her and how she's maturing. I wonder how the next season in her life is going to go...let's hope that the journey isn't too bumpy. Please remember to comment and vote xoxo