Chapter 28

Christian is waiting for me at the horses' paddock as I pull into the driveway. I love our evening walks and look forward to them all day. It is marvelous to have someone who really cares about me and wants to know about the little things, like how my day was or how I'm feeling. I'm so thankful to have found him.

"Hello, Mia", he says as he opens my car door, "I really missed you today." He smiles as I exit the car, close the door and turn to put my arms around his neck.

"I really missed you today, too", I confess as I lean in and kiss him gently on the lips. Pulling back I notice that we are both genuinely happy. Christian is extremely respectful and allows me to dictate the speed at which our relationship grows. Not once has he forced himself onto me or made me feel uncomfortable.

"Are we still on for our walk this evening?" Christian asks, knowing that I have my final assignment due. "I'll understand if you would rather spend the time finishing off work. I know you're on a tight deadline." His mouth is saying one thing, but I can see in his eyes that he really wants to go on our evening walk.

"I've actually been looking forward to our walk all afternoon. I have so much to tell you!" I squeal, excited to spill the beans on what happened at the office with Dylan today. My excitement makes him smile as he takes my bag and casually swings it over his shoulder. As he adjusts the strap, the note from Dylan falls out and my eyes betray me. Following the direction of my stare, Christian sees the note and pics it up.

"What is this?" He is shocked that someone would leave me such a disgusting note. "Where did you get this?! Who wrote it?"

"That note is all thanks to our wonderful intern, and CEO's son, Dylan." My calm reply assists in defusing Christian's temper. "I put him in his place at work today and this is his idea of retaliation. It should bother me, but it actually doesn't at all." I can't help but shrug and shake my head at the thought of Dylan's reaction. "You should have seen him today. Telling me that there is no way that I'm going to get the intern position over him. That he already has it 'in the bag'. But he picked the wrong day to mess with me. I kept calm and told him exactly what's what, which he obviously didn't appreciate at all. I'm really not bothered by him anymore. If I don't get the internship it will be because I'm not what they're looking for, not because I let him get in my head and bully me out of competing."

"Oh, slay!", Christian replies.

This new assertive me must really do it for Christian, because he takes me in his arms and kisses me with such passion that I feel lightheaded. We pull away from each other breathless, but happy. Christian's kisses have a way of making me feel desirable... in a safe way. My mind is always so contently scrambled after he's kissed me. That man truly has crazy skills.

We walk hand-in-hand to the house so that I can drop off my bag and change into a more comfortable outfit, before our evening walk. Gillian and dad have gone out for dinner tonight. I'm happy that they're together. My dad deserves to find love again. Christian and I knew about them way before they decided to openly speak about their relationship with me. Tonight we decide to pack a small picnic and grab a blanket to take along on our walk. Sitting, watching the sun go down alone with Christian, is the perfect way to end my day. Especially the kind of crazy day I had. Thoughts of work don't cross my mind. Not even thoughts of Dylan invade our time together. It's just Christian and me having quality time together. We hang onto each other's every word. Nothing and no one else exists.

Eventually, on our walk back to the house after the sun has set, Christian asks, "So, what are you planning to do about Dylan? I wish you didn't have to face him alone." His concern for me is heartwarming. That someone can care for me this much still amazes me.

"Don't worry about Dylan. Luckily I have Dawn on my side, not that she trumps his father, but I'm not alone. I've decided to let my work speak for itself. I just need to make sure that I put everything I have into my final assignment. It's my only way of ever beating Dylan at his own game. I need to prove to Mr. Kepler that I'm the intern he needs to keep, that my voice is the one he needs to listen to." Christian doesn't answer me. We simply continue walking in silence back to the house. Hand-in-hand. Without a care in the world.

My heart feels a sharp stab, as I watch Christian's car pull out of the driveway. I never thought I'd ever miss someone like I miss him when I watch his car leave at night. How that one soft spoken, irresistibly handsome man can come into my life and turn it upside down in a matter of months still sobers me. I smile to myself, as I walk back into the house and head upstairs to my bedroom, thinking back at how I've grown over these past few months. 'Slay' he said, and I start laughing. Indeed I slayed. I slayed the long shadow Dylan has cast over my life. I slayed the dragon of my own addiction, guilt and self-hatred. I'm now learning to love myself again. And with the love I receive from my little tribe, the real, healthy, healed Mia will soon completely rise from the ashes.

Back in my bedroom, I kick off my shoes and turn the radio on ever so softly. As soon as I open my laptop and the screen of my assignment comes up, I'm all business. I start tweaking my work. Adding bits, moving parts and rewriting sections. I need to make sure that this piece is bulletproof. It needs to blow everyone else's out of the water. I need to leave Mr. Kepler with no alternative but to select me as the final intern. I want this position so badly, not just because Dylan wants it too, but because I know that it's what I'm destined to do. I have no doubt about it. I know that Dylan will find any way possible to attack me, so I need to give him as little ammunition as possible to work with. My piece needs to be able to go up against skilled writers... and win.

I make my final tweak and sit back against my pillow, exhaling deeply. That's it. It's finished. I can honestly say that I lay myself bare for this assignment, that I gave it my everything. I know that there is a chance that people might put two and two together and realise that I'm Melissa... but I honestly don't care.