˚₊‧21‧₊˚

Start from the beginning

Unconditionally yours,

David

The note was incredibly sweet, not that I'd expect anything less. Words written on paper stuck with me more than words spoken aloud. I could hold his feelings for me in my own hands, I could visit them later should I ever need a reminder.

For now, I was curious what he had in store for me. Boost my career? A head start? How could something so monumental fit inside a humble envelope?

The questions swirling in my mind pushed me to unfold the other letter. It was... from a hospital?

New York Presbyterian to be exact!

I almost leaped off my bed.

That was essentially the leading hospital for neuroscience in America! What business did I have receiving a letter from such a prestigious medical institution?

Congratulations, Casper Niely! We are pleased to inform you...

My mouth inched open as I read the letter. I had been accepted for one of their programs. I was going to shadow two of their neurosurgeons for a one-month period next summer. They also not-so-subtly implied that, if all went well, they'd be happy to have me back after I finished med school. The cherry on top? All expenses would be paid for.

I could have passed out.

Neurosurgery was my dream job! The opportunity to be in the presence of seasoned geniuses and learn from them and potentially have a job there seemed so far out of reach. But here David was, placing it in my grasp. If I hadn't read his note first, I would've felt like I was somehow cheating. Or like I was skipping a whole list of steps. But, like he said, the door was wide open, and all I had to do was walk through it. I'd be stupid not to.

There was no way in hell I'd give up this chance. I couldn't have received a better gift.

Sadly, I wasn't able to rejoice for long.

A swift knock outside my door dragged me back to reality. Damn. So much for wanting a peaceful day to myself. I folded my letters, tucking them under my pillows before I went to answer the door.

I knew it couldn't be Nash unless he forgot his key. But he kept his room key on the same ring as his car keys, and his car was long gone.

I hoped that it was Lucas or Jon, but when I swung the door open, I was disappointed to see Ava's face.

Ugh. I had nothing to say to her.

"H-hi, Casper..." she greeted, her lips sinking into a slight pout.

Here was the thing about Ava Norris. She was tall. Modelesque. Sporty pageant queen. She wore her heart on her sleeve, and her outfits always matched her mood. I was used to seeing her in chic clothing, and her hair styled to a T. She didn't look so confident anymore. And she'd never be caught dead in sweats, which was what she was wearing now. But, hey, at least they were pink right?

I tried not to roll my eyes. What kind of show was she about to put on for me now?

"Ava," I acknowledged. She was clutching a large book in her hands, holding it against her chest.

"C-can we talk? Please?"

"I think I've said all I needed to say, Ava."

"Then I'll speak?"

I made a gesture for her to go ahead. If it would get her to leave quicker, then by all means.

"I went home this weekend," she informed. "After you said we went to middle school together, I had to find... you. I've kept all my yearbooks, so..."