˚₊‧20‧₊˚

Start from the beginning

"I don't mind us being friends," I continued. "But let's be honest. I don't even know you that well. We were becoming close, and we even promised to have each other's backs. But ever since Trey came back, everything's been so weird between us."

"Yeah, it has. And I'm really starting to regret bringing him here."

I shrugged. "You have a lot to sort out. He's a terrible person, but you obviously still have feelings for him."

He neither confirmed nor denied that part. "You and I were in a good place the day I asked you out."

Yeah, then he had to go and ruin it. But I couldn't even be mad about that anymore. In fact, I was glad it happened. It led me to David. "We were. And I really did like you... then. But again, Trey happened."

"Then you pulled away," he said sadly. "And someone else came in and stole your attention, I'm guessing."

The gloomy look in his eyes grew infectious, and I didn't want to feel depressed right now, so I stared at the cover of my book. "Pretty much," I whispered.

Nash was silent for a few moments before he cleared his throat. "I get it. And I don't blame you. Maybe your new crush can take you out on that candlelight picnic date you've been dreaming of."

With that, he grabbed the handle of his suitcase and his car keys, striding out of the room.

I fell back onto my pillows. I knew he didn't intend that to sound as bitter as it did, but it left a pang in my chest. I held my pillow to my face, wanting to let out all of my frustration. My phone's notification tone blared and I snatched my cell from its charger, unlocking the screen.

Good night, sweetheart. I have a surprise for you tomorrow.

It was a message from David, and I smiled in an instant. There he was, the calm in my storm. I wished I knew how he did it. I returned his good night before sighing to myself. I was tired of today, so I let the exhaustion pull me into a deep slumber.

˚₊‧✩‧₊˚

"Don't look. Not just yet!" David warned, lips curved up in a silly way. I glanced up at him. "In fact, stay out here for just a second, but you gotta turn around."

Holding my hands in an affectionate grasp, he turned me around on his porch so that my back faced his front door.

"I hate surprises, David," I whined, but he knew I was being playful.

"This will be worth it. I promise." He sealed the promise with a light kiss to my cheek.

There was no way I could resist. "Okay."

"One sec." He walked past me and into his house, leaving me to laugh under my breath. I stood patiently outside, admiring the green grass and the pink-white flowers that blossomed from his trees. There were purple balloon flowers draping over his lawn so tastefully that it made me smile. Before I knew it, he reappeared outside.

"Ready?"

"Whenever you are," I responded, letting all my worries drift away with the soft breeze.

"I do hope you like it," he wished. Gently, he turned me back around and opened his front door. "After you. I must warn you, it's very cheesy."

I stepped inside, and the first thing I noticed (besides Sofie bouncing around my legs) were the white rose petals that made a path leading somewhere I didn't yet know. I giggled. It was marvelous.

"Oh, hi baby girl!" I reached down to pet Sofie as her entire body wagged as hard as her tail.

Then, I noticed something else that made me gasp. "David... You put pictures all over your walls!" My gaze traveled all around the living room, and my feet followed. "Wait, is this part of the surprise?" I asked, wide-eyed.