"I'd love to chat more...", he smiles playfully, "But I must get back to the barn now. I need to assist with the birth. Would you like to come with?"

"Oh, I'd love to!" I answer almost before he's finished asking the question.

It's only then that I notice that he is carrying a bucket of water in one hand, and some towels in the other. I take the towels from him and follow him to the barn.

I see doctor Bailey as soon as we enter the barn. He is calming Crystal and only nods his head as a greeting when he sees me.

I go stand in the corner, and am in awe of Crystal. She is so majestic and regal. She is very restless and keeps pacing in the stall. I can see that she's broken out in a sweat and doctor Bailey says that it won't be too long now.

Crystal makes her last round of the stall and stops. She eases down to the ground and eventually lies on her side. Her tail is raised, and I can hear her panting, as she readies herself for the final few moments before the new arrival.

Doctor Bailey and Christian rush to her hind and lift her tail, giving the arriving foal space. It's then that I see a protrusion which, on closer inspection, I realise is the foal's head and forelegs in the bluish-white amnion.

Crystal is struggling so Christian takes both the foal's forelegs in his hands and gently pulls to assist its arrival. Doctor Bailey tears the amniotic foetal membrane and clears the foal's nasal passages to prevent it from suffocating.

I'm bursting with pride. Crystal is so brave through all of this. Christian's face is beaming. I hear him whisper into Crystal's ear, telling her how proud of her he is.

Christian comes over, hugs me and spins me around before putting me back down with a huge smile on his face.

"Don't you think she's amazing?", he asks excitedly, before rushing back to her side.

When I look back at the foal it's already out and trying to stand up by itself.

"Well", says Christian as he comes over to me again, "It's probably best that we leave them alone for a bit and let Crystal get used to her foal. The doc will do the few final checks."

I completely agree and we leave the barn beaming with excitement.

Having shared this moment with Christian makes me feel strangely closer to him. I'm sure that's what people go through when they experience a life changing event with another person. There's this strange bond that you can't seem to explain.

I'm replaying what I've just witnessed, when I suddenly feel Christian's hand in mine.

"Mia, can we talk?", he asks, pulling me towards the railing where he found me earlier.

"Yes sure, Christian."

He turns me around so that my back is leaning against the railing and we stand face to face.

His eyes are tender as he takes my hands in his and begins to speak.

He looks down at our hands. Takes a deep breath. Chooses his words carefully and looks in my eyes as he says, "I can't stop thinking about you, Mia. Thoughts of you have me smiling all day long. I can hardly concentrate on anything else."

I can't help it, but a little nervous laugh escapes.

"Why are you laughing?", his face full of confusion.

I'm scared but I say the words anyway. "I'm laughing because you've just explained exactly what I've been going through." My cheeks are on fire. I'm so embarrassed.

I can see the relief on his face. His eyes sparkle with happiness.

"Really? You really feel that way about me?", he asks surprised by my willing confession.

"Yes, I can't stop thinking about you either, even earlier with my dad at my mother's grave. I was reading a letter that she wrote to me and in it she was saying that she wished for me to meet someone special, who would love me for who I am. And all that I could think of was you. You are that amazing person, Christian. I've been so afraid to let you in. So afraid to get hurt again. But not anymore. I'm letting my walls down. I'm letting you in." Tears escape my eyes as I lay my soul bare to him. Tears of relief.

"I promise that I will never hurt you, Mia", he says as he wipes away my tears with this thumb, takes me in his arms and pulls me close. "I just want to love you."

And before I can say or do anything he kisses me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eventually! I'm sure that you are all happy that she's eventually let Christian in and told him how she feels. Please remember to comment and vote xoxo