Smashed on the Sidewalk

I gripped Carl's hand tightly as I struggled to keep the heat between us.

It was winter time and those undead bastards were still out and about in their journey to depopulate the world.

"Hey Espi," he whispered.

I hummed in response to let him know I was awake.

"Are you still cold?"

I nodded, but kept my mouth shut.

I was exhausted. A full day of running, searching, and escaping... It was tiring. And what made it all the more tiring was knowing I would have to get up again and do it tomorrow.

Before I knew it, I slipped into a not so peaceful slumber filled with images of death and decay.

/-/

"Espi," I heard, "Come on love. Get up."

I opened my eyes to find my beautiful boyfriend looking back at me, "Do I have to? When will be the day when I can wake up and not have to worry about running for my life?"

Carl sighed and took my hand into his own," I know baby girl. I want that just as much. It'll happen one day."

He kissed my forehead before scooting off of our makeshift bed and into the next room of the house where our friend, Artemis, was sleeping.

"Arti," I heard, "You gotta get up."

I groaned and sat up, feeling a pain shoot through my back. Lying on thin blankets on a cold, wooden floor wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world.

Pretty soon, the three of us were well on our way.

Our goal for the day was to make it to this mall that we had seen on our way into the small town we had found a few days ago.

The only issue was that it was overrun and it would be an against all odds battle to get in there. Normally, we wouldn't risk it, but we had run out of supplies, and the mall was our only other option.

As we approached the large building, I saw a few walkers walking around through the glass windows.

"Maybe this isn't such a good idea," Artemis said, "Maybe we should just go through the neighborhood and try our luck."

Carl sighed,"You know that's not going to work. The houses have been checked already. There's nothing left."

I nodded, knowing that even if there were anything left, it wouldn't be enough to last a decent amount of time and we would be back to where we started. At least by checking the mall, there might be enough food and clothes to stay a while.

Carl took the lead and pulled on the large entrance doors.

"They're locked from the inside," he stated,"We'll either have to break down the door or break a window."

I shook my head,"Too much noise. It'll attract all of the walkers in the building. We need something quieter."

"I know how to pick locks," Artemis said,"I think I could open it."

I nodded and backed away to give her space.

Glancing to my right, I noticed a small patch of wild daisies sprouting in the dirt.

Despite all the bitterness and pain the world was causing, it still could still produce something as beautiful as wild flowers.

Carl took my hand and smiled at me, "They're beautiful, aren't they?"

I nodded," I love flowers. They've always been something I found beautiful."

"Hey guys," Arti called," I got it."