Book Worm

I smiled as I brought my knees close to my chest, staring intently at he words I was reading.

Most days, I sat on the bench near the window of the library, just as  I was now, reading whatever there was to offer.

I have been since I was five.

My mother used to bring me down here everyday when she got off from work and pick a story to read.

It was my favorite thing to do until she died last year of leukemia.

My father and I saw it coming.

We knew what to prepare for, though it we couldn't prepare for the pain and the longevity of hurt that would come soon after.

In honor of her memory and all the happy ones she gave me, I've come here everyday and sat on this bench, reading though every book the shelves had to offer.

Rain or shine.

"That a good book?"

I looked up to see a boy that looked to be about my age staring at me.

"Uh," I stumbled over my words, pushing my glasses on my nose,"Yeah. It's good."

"What's it about?" He asked.

I launched into the story of how book was about a mute boy finding love in his hometown.

The boy listened in fascination, laughing when I made jokes and frowning when I told him a saddening part.

"So," the boy said,"He finally found love?"

I nodded,"It was hard, but he did it. He knew he couldn't just let love go past him. That's what I love most about this story. I've read it over twenty times."

The boys mouth gaped,"That's an exaggeration right?"

I shook my head,"No. I've been coming here since I was young. Every book in here is something that I've read more than once."

"A lot of free time?" He asked.

"I work here."

He chuckled,"My name's Chandler."

He stuck out his hand for me to shake and I did.

"Do you have any favorites?" I asked.

He shrugged,"I'm not really into books."

I raised and eyebrow while he motioned for me to move my feet on the bench so he could sit.

I did and he sat down, facing me.

"Why did you come to the library?" I asked, genuinely curious.

He smiled,"I'm an actor. I come here so I can learn my lines."

A piece of hair fell into my eyes and Chandler pushed it back, causing me to blush wildly.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"No problem. Hey, do you maybe want to help me with my lines?"

"I-uh," I stammered,"I'm not really, you good."

Chandler raised an eyebrow with a smirk etched on his face,"At what?"

"Oh, uh... You know, uh, reading?"

I thought about what I said and smacked myself in the forehead. 

"I'm sorry," I said, embarrassed.

"It's okay," he chuckled,"It's quite cute."

For the first time since Chandler walked over to me, I looked into his eyes.

They were amazing.

The blueness of the tiny orbs couldn't have been natural. They shone and glimmered like a freshly cut diamond and captured every ounce of concentration I had.

In that moment, I became supremely jealous. 

Chandler had stopped talking and was staring into my eyes as well.

Bullshit.

How come I got to stare into his ocean like eyes and all he got to look at were my grey blobs.

"So pretty," he whispered.

I looked at my shoes,"You don't have to sit with me. You can go talk to her."

He gave me a confused look and I sighed,"The pretty one."

He laughed,"I already am, silly."

I blushed and he put his phone on my lap.

"Put your number in?"

I smiled, taking the device while handing him my own.

When we were done, Chandler smiled,"I'll text you, but I have to go."

As Chandler walked away, I curled back into my ball on the bench, thinking of the woman who used to sit with me.

Look at that mom, I thought.  Someone actually likes me. You were always right.

Topic: gazing into each other's eyes