Best Friends Part 2

I stared at him with my mouth in a slight O shape.

"What?" I asked.

He turned to walk out of his room which I had invaded,"Yeah, so don't be too quick to judge because I'm not a liar."

I watched him walked out and down the hall, still wondering what he meant. I mean, it was quite obvious what he meant, but it didn't make any sense.

He had been with Dana for so long and now he broke up with her because of me.

Suddenly, Dana walked into the room and saw me standing there.

Her eyes were bright red and she had tear stains running down her face.

"What are you doing in here?" Dana asked me with a slight hitch in her voice.

"I- I uh," I stuttered, still at a loss for words.

"Why are you in Carl's room?" she accused.

I wanted to tell her about how I came in here to tell Carl about how much he would be missing out, but the words wouldn't come.

I didn't want my friend to be hurt because of me. I didn't even feel that way about Carl.

He was annoying, pestering, obnoxious, a pessimist, and most of all, an instigator.

But he was in love with me.

"I wanted to talk to Carl and tell him-" I started, but was almost immediately cut off.

"That you love him, because he obviously loves you," Dana said as the tears reappeared in her eyes, "He's in love with you and that's why he broke up with me."

I let my eyes fall to the floor and let her continue.

"You're my best friend and I love you, Dani, but he loves you too. I don't know how to deal with that."

On the outside, you would see that I was ashamed that I was unintentionally causing my best friend so much pain, but on the inside, I was wondering how this could be the biggest problem in my life when there were zombie walking around outside.

"If you choose to be with him, I cant be your friend," Dana said as she turned to walk out of the room, "I'm sorry."

I placed my head on the branch in front of me and swung my feet from the branch.

I couldn't think in the house with Carl and Dana continuing to walk back and forth, so I went to the only place I could.

The tree in the back of my old house was a place that I had spent most of my childhood. I loved to climb it and sit, looking into the woods.

I sat there and looked thinking.

It made sense now. Carl always teasing. The second glances.

It was because he liked me.

No, loved me.

The thing was, I didn't feel the same.

He hurt my friend and I just didn't.

I heard a rustling and looked down to find Carl standing at the base of the tree.

"Hey, Dani," he said with a smile.

"Hey," I replied, monotonously.

"I know you've been thinking about what Dana said," he said, leaning on the base of the tree.

"She told you?" I questioned.

He nodded, "And I want you to know that I don't want to get in the middle of your friendship with her. I hate when girls turn against each other for a boy. It's stupid."

I raised an eyebrow, "So, you don't want me to be with you?"

He shook his head, "I broke up with Dana because it wouldn't have been fair to her, but it wouldn't be fair to you if choosing me lost you your best friend. I will however settle with being your friend."

I nodded,"I'd like that."

We sat there in the basking sunlight in silence for a couple of moments before I spoke.

"You know," I paused, "I wouldn't have chosen you before because you were such an ass, but I like this side of you."

Carl gave a small laugh and looked up at me in the tree, "Well, you can't just assume I have a bad personality because it makes an ass out of you and me."

I laughed and shook my head, "No, only you."

He smiled and we sat there and I realized that I may not be dating Carl, but he would be a great friend.

Maybe even a best friend.

I don't even know what happened with this chapter. I had some ideas, but then poof... gone. Anyways, thank you for all the support. Hug ya, kiss ya, bai  ~Miki