Not Like Me

I sat down on the rock and then checked over my shoulder one last time to make sure that the walker had lost it's prey.

Carl and I had been out walking around looking for something to do other than sit around in the "safety" of Alexandria when a herd of walkers came out of no where and we were separated.

I knew better than to call out for him.

We weren't even supposed to be out here in the first place.

Diana claims that Alexandria is the safest place to be, but Carl, Enid, and I all knew that this place had to have some type of catch to it. Carl actually told me that he thought it was Terminus all over again.

I finally caught my breath and decided that it was time to get up and find Carl.

I heard a rustle in  the bushes and turned back, my dirty blonde hair swinging and then falling limp at my shoulders.

A walker came out of the trees and moaned a little.

"Crap," I muttered.

I took the knife out of my boot and waited for the walker to come into stabbing distance.

Suddenly, three more walkers came out of nowhere.

I knew I couldn't fight them all off by myself, but for some reason, I just stood there.

Fighting off walkers has become a way of life for me. The apocalypse had started when I was ten.

Carl had been eleven and one of my best friends at school.

He used to help me whenever a bully would try and torture me, even though the boy was very small and not capable of hurting anyone.

Sometimes, we would both end up being punched or kicked.

After a couple of years in the walker infested world, Carl asked me out.

I had thought that he was crazy.

"Either of us could die any day," I had said.

He shrugged, "That is a risk I am willing to take. Will you?"

I had accepted.

Carl had told me about a time when three walkers attacked him while he was alone and  he lived to tell the tale.

I snapped back into reality and the walker tackled me.

I fell to the ground as the rotten stench of walker hit my nose.

I gagged in the creature's face and it chomped it's jaws in my face.

My hand was stuck underneath my body and I couldn't even move enough to kill it.

A gun fired and the walker stilled.

Two more shots and the other's went with.

I smelt the familiar scent of woods and lavender and knew that it was Carl that had come to my rescue today.

"What were you thinking? he asked in a grunt, straining under the weight of the rotting corpse.

He moved the thing to the side and helped me to my feet.

"I was thinking that I could take care if the walkers like you took care of those ones that time when you were alone."

His face scrunched up in confusion and then lightened when the moment came to his mind.

"You're not like me and you shouldn't try to be."

I nodded and he gave me a hug.

"We should probably get back," he said, "They might be worried."

I nodded and he took my hand and together, we walked back to Alexandria.