epilogue

"And there's certain things that I adore. And there's certain things that I ignore. But I'm certain that I'm yours." James Arthur, Certain Things

Everything in life has a designated end. Seasons change, people change, and circumstances change. What we fail to realize, however, is that every end marks a new beginning. And sometimes these moments can be recreated or changed into a completely new form. I feel brand new as I prepare to cross that stage, accepting a diploma that I and every graduate in this room worked hard for. The end of high school, perhaps the end of an era, can seem terrifying to some but I feel liberated. I am excited to embrace what comes next.

My acceptance letter to LSU came in the mail a couple of months ago and when reading that I got accepted Justin, my family, and I were ecstatic. It's required during our freshman year to live on campus, but he and I have discussed getting an apartment together if things go according to plan during our sophomore year. I even earned a partial scholarship into their writing program when I submitted a piece of my original work on a whim. Amiyah and Shane are attending separate in state colleges in the fall, Lou is attending Berkeley, and Gracson has a basketball scholarship to the University of Kentucky. I am insanely happy and proud of all of them.

"You ready to go squirt? You only graduate from high school once." I start screeching when Alex goes to mess up my hair. I am not accepting my diploma with my hair looking a mess. He drove here last night to make my graduation today. I've been to his and Grant's apartment and it's insanely nice. The city of Muncie is cool too, and I think it's a wonderful place for Alex to get his brand new start. After the whole moving fiasco, he and I sat down and talked about, well, everything really. I expressed to him all of my fears and he promised to try and help appease them. Alex apologized for not telling me he's moving out sooner, and we talk on the phone at least once a week and text almost every day. He might not have been physically here with me, but communication with him was enough. It was such a stark contrast from the radio silence I received when he was in rehab. He continues to see his therapist and work through the issues he's had leading up to his addiction and following it. I can truly say he's a healthier person than he was a year ago. And for that I am glad.

"I know Alex. I am beyond ready." Grabbing my purse, I lead Alex and my mom out the front door. My father and Karen have been waiting in the driveway so we could all leave together and so my parents, Karen, and Alex can get seats beside one another. In these past few months, my father and I have been working on our civility towards each other. He admitted his faults and his wrongdoings that led to the downfall of his and my mother's marriage. He also apologized to me for having to experience my mother's heartbreak first handedly. We both agreed to give each other a fresh start, a second chance of sorts. We weren't aiming to forget the past, but rather move on from it.

As for Karen, I've also reached an olive branch out to her. I can admit to myself that I've been painting her as a villain all of this time when the truth is that my parent's marriage was suffering before she ever became a part of the equation. She was wrong for continuing to see my father once she learned he was married, but she was just the catalyst to a divorce that was already bound to occur. I actually stay overnight with them sometimes and I always take Frankie out places with me when Karen lends me her car. I love that little girl, and I have a feeling she will be my step-sister soon with the way my father has been acting around Karen when he believes no one is watching. Walking carefully on my high heels, I almost trip anyways at the sight of the blood red Trailblazer sitting in my driveway.

"Oh my god!" I gasp, running forward to caress its fine finish. My dad and Karen exit their vehicle, grinning along with my mother who's beaming with satisfaction.

"Do you like it, sweetheart?" My mother asks.

"This is mine?" I ask, dumbfounded. I can't believe I finally have my own car after riding the school bus for seemingly forever and then catching rides from Justin for the remainder of my senior year. This is surreal.