twenty

"If I could be just one thing, I would be what you're craving," -Mike Posner, Iris

Chace Crawford cast as Grant Simmons

"Alex! You've only been home for like, a week, and the bathroom is already a mess!" I growl as my brother's echoing laughter gets closer before he's stood at the bathroom's entrance.

"The bathroom looks fine!" He exclaims and I want to bash my forehead against the wall. Or better yet, chuck the pile of wet towels strewn around the bathroom at his chest.

"It's a fucking mess in here. There is literally a laundry basket in the bathroom closet so why are there towels on the floor? Not to mention all of your shaving crap on the counter." I walk up to him and yank him towards me to examine his cheeks.

"And you still manage to have scruff? Unbelievable. You know, mom wanted you to shave for your party today!" I scold and Alex just laughs louder. Today we were throwing him a welcome home party/birthday celebration. His birthday isn't technically until after the new year, but we thought we'd kill two birds with one stone. The only people who would be here today is our dad, Karen, Frankie, Alex's old friend Gran,t who he drifted from after everything happened, and Justin. My mom was okay with me inviting him and Alex was adamant about meeting him, which worries me slightly.

"Calm down flower, everything's going to be great. I don't care if we have a spotless house or not, it just matters that the people I love are gonna be here. Plus I get to meet your boyfriend and I haven't been able to properly threaten anyone in a long time." His smirk is devilishly and I groan, shoving him out of the bathroom.

"You promised to behave! Now shoo, I'm trying to clean up your mess." He finally disappears downstairs and I'm relieved. Sometimes you gotta take Alex in small doses. This bathroom has to be clean since the one downstairs doesn't work and we have guests coming over. When I finally finish in there I dash into my bedroom to get ready. I typically wouldn't care about my appearance with just family coming over, but with Justin... things were always different.

Slipping on a gray sweater dress with ankle booties to match, I quickly curl my hair and pin it back away from my face. After flicking on a bit of mascara, I coat my lips with a cherry balm before I'm satisfied with my appearance. I can hear talking and laughter downstairs and I know they're expecting me to show my face. Taking a deep breath I exit my room, slowly descending the stairs.

"Lilly! It's about time, you spent forever up there getting all dolled up for Justin!" my mom exclaims and I immediately roll my eyes, feeling my cheeks flush with color.

"Seriously mom? You never know when to stop!" I groan, walking further into the room and sharing an awkward smile with Karen. We hadn't spoken much since that dinner fiasco and now here she was in our house. My father stands, walking up to me. I tentatively accept his hug as he gently kisses the top of my head.