Five Golden Tickets

Start from the beginning

"What makes you say that?" the man asked me. I looked at him and scoffed.

"Well, for starters, we can barely afford one plain Wonka bar a year. And that bar is always and only for Charlie's birthday. He needs that hope more than the rest of us." I shrugged and returned to cleaning the countertop.

"Hm," the man pondered.

Before he could speak again, I asked him, "What is your name?"

"Oh, that's not important, " he said, waving my question away. "Besides, you may find out very soon."

And with that, he left the shop. I stood there, confused. What an odd man, I thought. Part of me couldn't help but feel freaked out and a bit anxious by what he could've meant.

My boss then walked in and thanked me for being here early. I continued cleaning until it was about time for the shop to open. I took notice of the crowd that now swarmed the telephone pole, looking at the new flier.

I turned on the television in the shop, watching the news.

"Five golden tickets have been hidden under the ordinary wrapping paper of five ordinary Wonka bars. These five candy bars may be anywhere... in any shop, in any street, in any town, in any country in the world."

And before I knew it, my shift began. And boy, was it hell.

<><><><><>

As soon as my shift ended, I raced home through the evening snow, nearly barging through the door.

"Hello Buckets! Grandpa Joe, did you hear about the golden tickets?" I asked breathlessly.

"Isn't it odd? But it's so exciting!" he exclaimed.

Just then, the door opened, revealing an excited Charlie. "Grandpa, did you see the news?"

"I have! Wouldn't it be something, Charlie, to open a bar of candy and find a golden ticket inside?" Grandpa Joe smiled with childish glee.

Charlie nodded, but his smile fell away. "I know, but I only get one bar a year, for my birthday."

"Well, it's your birthday next week," Mrs. Bucket pointed out, coming from the kitchen. She was sweeping the floor. "Mary, come help me with dinner."

I went into the kitchen to help Mrs. Bucket, still listening in on the conversation being had in the minuscule living room.

"You have as much chance as anybody does," Grandma Josephine encouraged.

Leave it to Grandpa George to bring down one's hopes. "Balderdash. The kids who're going to find the golden tickets are the ones who can afford to buy candy bars every day. Our Charlie gets only one a year. He doesn't have a chance."

Ignoring Grandpa George's statement, Grandma Josephine assured, "Everyone has a chance, Charlie."

I heard Grandpa George declare, "Mark my words, the kid who finds the first ticket will be fat, fat, fat."

<><><>The Next Day<><><>

The morning was the same as yesterday. But, the only difference was that one golden ticket had been found. The news showed an interview of the first winner, exactly how Grandpa George predicted—fat, fat, fat.

"Augustus." "This way."

The young boy was from Düsseldorf, Germany. He was eating a chocolate Wonka bar, with the sweet delicacy smeared all over his face in a gross mess. He told the reporters of how he came across the golden ticket.

"I am eating the Wonka bar and I taste something, that is not chocolate... or coconut... or walnut, or peanut butter... or nougat... or butter brittle, or caramel, or sprinkles. So I look and, I find the golden ticket."

A press man asked, "Augustus, how did you celebrate?"

"I eat more candy," Augustus answered as if it was obvious, ripping open another Wonka bar and shoving it into his mouth.

His mother brags proudly, "We knew Augustus would find the golden ticket. He eats so many candy bars a day that it was not possible for him not to find one."

"Yes, it is good, Augustus. Sehr gut," said one of the reporters.

I heard the newscaster inform, "One golden ticket claimed and only four more..."

"Told you it'd be a porker," grunted Grandpa George.

I hummed an "Mhm" in agreement.

Grandma Josephine agreed, "What a repulsive boy."

Charlie frowned, no doubt discouraged. "Only four golden tickets left."

I pat Charlie's back in comfort and murmured gently, "It'll be okay."

"Now that they've found one, things will get really crazy," Grandpa Joe observed.