35 | A Simple Soul

[ Y/N ]

"So are you coming with me or are you staying here?" I asked G while tugging a loose white tank top over my head. He pursed his boney lips while looking out the huge window before shrugging. "Eh, I'll go with you, it gets boring when I'm alone." I nodded in reply before tugging on some black shoes that were inside a small closet next to the elevator.

"I'm going over to Alphys' lab, by the way. She said that she wanted to show me a few things." I looked out the window and narrowed my eyes up at the cavern ceiling. "She said to be there at nine in the morning, so we better hurry." I started to head over to the elevator before I remembered something. "Grab the coffee machine," I said, thinking that Alphys would be the right person to take it to. G seemed to know what I was doing and let out a snicker before walking into the kitchen to grab the red coffee machine.

"So you think Alphys will be able to fix it?" he asked while following me into the elevator with the huge red coffee machine in his arms. "Hopefully," I answered while pressing one of the buttons in the elevator just as the doors closed.

The elevator doors opened a few seconds later to reveal the tenth floor, it's whitewashed walls and light grey doors all looking exactly the same. "Well," I said, clapping my hands together before rubbing them. "Guess we better start playing Marco Polo."

A confused look passed over G's face but it quickly turned into understanding when he watched as I brought my hands up to my mouth. "Alphys!" I shouted, starting to run down the hallway while glancing at the name tags on the doors as I passed them. G let out a sigh before running after me, shouting out Alphys' name all while struggling to keep up with me with the coffee machine.

"Alphys! Where are you!" I called out, a door to my right swinging open a second later to reveal a familiar monster peering out. "What are you two doing?" Alphys scolded, her face a mixture of annoyance and amusement.

I smiled at her and walked into the lab as she held the door open for us. I stared up at the complexing devices that hung from the ceiling and the strange glass tubes that were connected to large machines. "We were looking for you," I answered. " Why did you want to see me, by the way?"

Alphys closed the lab door behind us before scurrying over to a giant metal table. I cringed at the sight of it.

"The Persistence was nice enough to lend me this lab for my research," she started, "and the first study I've been wanting to conduct is on souls. After all, it was the subject I dropped after . . . the incident." She glanced over at G who shifted the coffee machine in his arms uncomfortably. "Let me guess," I piped up, noticing the unease that seemed to spread through the air. "It was after those two monsters fused, wasn't it?" Alphys nodded. "One of them was my colleague, Dr. Gaster. He wasn't a very empathetic monster, but he was brilliant."

I looked over at G and smirked. "Well, at least we know that you didn't get his brains."

Alphys laughed while G tried to smack me with his hand. I ducked out of the way before he could hit me and laughed. "Oh shush, I'm smart too," he huffed out, shifting the coffee machine in his arms with a scowl on his face.

I smirked and shrugged. "Whatever you say, but I'm still counting that time you got blasted in the face from that geyser as stupidity." G groaned and I laughed, the unease in the air immediately disappearing.

"Anyways," Alphys said with a chuckle. "Could I see your soul, Y/N? Oh, and since you're here, could I see yours too, G?"

We both nodded and I helped G set the coffee machine down on the lab table before he held a hand over his chest and pulled out an upside down heart shaped soul. It looked exactly like the holographic image that had been on Alphys' Soul Searcher, except it looked more magnificent in person. "Uh, how do I . . . ?" I placed a hand over my chest and pulled it away, empty handed.