18 | Falling Sandbags

[ Y/N ]

"Hey, wake up. We need to get moving," a deep voice whispered close to my ear, my mind sensing the presence of someone looming over me. I cracked open an eye and lazily looked up at G, the sunlight hitting the back of his skull so that his shadow fell across me. "I'll cut you," I threatened sleepily, closing my eye and stretching out a bit.

"Sorry, Doll, but that excuse is a one-time thing only." I let out a groan of protest when G's arms slid underneath my body and pulled me up, my arms and legs completely limp from laziness. "Either I'm dropping you out of the tree or you're waking up and we climb down," he said, looking down at my slack face. "Eh, falling is faster," I joked, knowing that he wouldn't let me fall.

Boy was I wrong.

My eyes shot open when I felt gravity multiply and my body fall into open space. I fell for about two seconds before I forgot something very important that you always have to do when you're potentially falling to your death.

I opened my mouth to let out a shrill scream—which I had been pretty good at, lately—until my body got tangled in vines that stopped my perilous fall.

A head rush erupted in my skull as I hung upside down in the vines, my arms pressed to my side and my legs wrapped in the leafy vines. "Well, you're right about how that got you down faster," I heard G say from somewhere behind me. I growled and struggled to escape the vine cocoon, only resulting in my body spinning around so much that the vines snapped and dropped me to the ground with a loud thud!

I groaned and sat up, clutching my head while using my other hand to get the remaining vines off my body. A low chuckle came from behind me and I whipped around to shoot G a death glare. He just shrugged in response that made me really want to live up on my threat and cut him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

"Do you not know how to tell when I'm being sarcastic?" I asked, holding my glare as I stood up and dusted myself off. He smirked at me before turning on his heel and starting to walk away. "I do, but just like I said the other day, it's funny to see you freak out." I let out an annoyed huff before jogging to catch up, stuffing my hands in my pant pockets when I had.

We both walked through the wacky-climate forest in silence, lost in our own thoughts or just enjoying the scenery. Colorful woodpeckers flitted around the redwood trees, perching on branches to peck at the wood or to sing their little songs. Exotic looking flowers grew from underneath frosted bushes, letting their potent smell smother the path we were taking while collecting the water droplets from the melting icicle bushes.

Small ponds and puddles that were completely frozen littered the clearings that we passed through in the forest, their cold surfaces slippery and frosted. Droplets of water landed on my head from dropping off of the oak and redwood trees' leaves.

"Hey," I said, breaking the silence that had surrounded us. "If you don't mind me asking, why do you always use 'when I first existed' or 'back when I was here' as words when you talk about your past?"

G suddenly stopped and stared into space, his eye sockets slowly going dark that sent chills up my spine. "G . . . ?" I asked slowly, growing concerned when he didn't answer. I reached out to touch his shoulder, and became a bit surprised when he didn't pull away. "I—I'm sorry. I didn't know it was a sensitive subject to you," I blurted out. Relief spread across my face when his pupils returned back in his eye sockets after he blinked.

He looked over at me with his boney lips pressed in a thin line, looking like he was debating with himself over something. He finally shook as skull and let out an exhausted sigh. "Well, better tell you now before I chicken out." He let out a weak chuckle before starting to walk again, letting me catch up to match his pace before opening his mouth to speak.