27 | A New Stress Relief

( Do Not Play Song Yet )

[ G ]

I studied her face, looking for any emotions to leak out as she stared back at me. The dark circles under her eyes hadn't gone away, and her hair was still a disheveled mess. Her whole body was tense, like it usually was, and her eyes were lazily open as she studied my own appearance. The late afternoon sunlight that had managed to break through the dark clouds and pouring rain streamed through the colorful stain glass windows and onto the two of us, causing Y/N's body to become a dark silhouette while mine became colorfully abstract.

She reached over and took my hand, running a finger around the inside of the hole in my palm before intertwining her fingers with my boney ones.

"How do you work?" she suddenly blurted out, her face instantly growing hot as she realized what she had just said. I blinked and let out a laugh before resting my skull in my other hand. "Um, well, magic, I guess." She raised an eyebrow at me with a smirk on her face. "Magic. That's totally believable." I rolled my pupils and gave her a lopsided grin. "Doll, you've seen firsthand what magic looks like." I flicked my wrist and stared at the golden flamish-aura that had surrounded my hand.

Y/N chuckled sheepishly and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "Yeah, well, I'm still trying to get used to the whole, 'hey-I-can-fucking-shoot-people-to-death-with-scary-skull-rays-and-summon-flying-bones-as-well' thing so just bare with me here."

The empty church was suddenly filled with laughter as we pulled our intertwined hands apart to try and muffle our outburst. And even though I didn't have any lungs, I found myself gasping for breath as I tried to calm down my laughter. What was so funny in the first place? And why do I feel . . . what's that word? Calm? Happy? No . . . it's a different word, what is it?

I looked over at Y/N and found myself smiling as I watched her try and control her wheezing as she clutched her side with a huge grin on her face.

But just like that, the scene melted away, and I was left in an inky blackness . . .

Sunlight woke me up from my bittersweet dreams, causing an annoyed groan to sound out through the living room as I turned away and tried to fall back asleep. But of course, I just had to stay awake. I gave up trying to fall back asleep after ten minutes and sat up on the couch to look out the floor-to-ceiling window.

The long vines that hung from the cavern ceiling swayed back and forth slowly as a small breeze travelled throughout the cavern, making the wind chimes that hung from humans' and monsters' homes clang together to create soft music.

Patches of sunlight leaked through the holes and naturally made vents at the top of the cavern, the light disappearing every so often as clouds covered up the sun from somewhere above ground. The Persistence was alive and bustling with humans and monsters rushing around in the villages below, each village having their respective towers with the same badass slogan on each.

Two large waterfalls crashed down into a huge hot springs in one of the cavern corners, about two miles away from where I stood. I glanced around the cavern from inside my suite and narrowed my eye sockets as I stared at the cavern walls. How big was this place? Four, five, maybe six miles in diameter?

I pressed my hands against the glass and stared directly down to see a few humans and monsters bustling into and out of the tower's front doors. I looked back up at all the towers and made a full circle around my suite as I counted how many towers there were in total. Seven. So that means that there are seven villages down here in some six mile in diameter cavern with hanging vines, waterfalls, holes with sunlight, and some flora and fauna in the whole place.