11 | Goodbyes are Hard

[ Y/N ]

My breaths could be seen in the cold night air, the large bag carelessly thrown over my shoulder hitting against my back with the hard downpour pelting my frantic figure. Hot tears ran down my face and dripped off my chin onto the wet pavement that my old sneakers slapped against with each adrenaline powered step.

I chanced a look behind me, my wide E/C eyes full of terror as they landed on the creature that had been chasing me for who knows how long. A cry of fear escaped my lips as my foot slipped on the wet pavement, causing me to trip forward and skid across the street where I stopped in a large puddle of dirty water.

I scrambled to my feet but was too slow. The creature pounced on me and sank its sharp teeth into my shoulder, a blood curdling scream escaping my throat when I felt the unbearable pain and saw the thick, dark blood. The creature tore at my flesh with its teeth while I tried to get it off me, blood starting to bubble in my mouth and my eyes growing fuzzier and dimmer.

A flash of golden light exploded behind the creature on top of me and it momentarily stopped its attack and looked back, a whimper escaping its blood coated lips before the creature bolted off and disappeared behind a street corner.

I lay in the puddle of bloody street water, afraid to move my broken body. Quick footsteps slapped against the pavement as someone ran towards me, a soft golden glow coming from where their face was. I trembled in fear as they skidded to a stop beside me and reached for my damaged body. I let out a short scream when their hand grazed over my torn flesh, my tears mixing with the blood dripping from my lips.

"Doll . . ."

I sucked in a small breath as I turned my head to lock gazes with a familiar skeleton. Confusion flashed across my pained expression as I stared at him.

Why the hell was he here?

"G . . . ?" I gurgled, choking on my own blood. He reached for my arm, but before he could touch me, my eyes flashed and a strong jolt caused me to wake up.

My eyes shot open and stared into space for a few seconds before I realized I was crying. Why was I crying? I've never cried from a nightmare before. Especially one with my fear of dogs in it.

I momentarily relaxed my grip on the thing I was holding on to before reaching up to brush my hot tears away with my other hand. Scenes from the nightmare raced through my mind, causing me to let out a shuddery breath before turning around to mash my face into the air mattress. The smell of cigarette smoke and vanilla suddenly filled my nose, and I coughed to try and get the strong scent out before sitting up and looking down.

G was fast asleep below me, the faux fur on his hood soaked with my tears. What? I looked to my right to see the perfectly clean air mattress that I hadn't mashed my face in.

Oh.

Okay.

I looked down at my hand that was currently clenched into a death grip around G's arm, my knuckles white and aching when I slowly relaxed my grip. It didn't seem to bother him, which confused me even though I knew he technically didn't have nerves.

But he could sure get on my nerves.

I chuckled at myself before rolling over until I fell off the air mattress and onto the floor, the cold wood pricking my clammy skin. I stood up and stumbled over to the door while yanking off my jacket and throwing it somewhere on the floor, twisting the doorknob before staggering into the living room and onto the old couch.