26 | Finally Some Help

[ G ]

"Where is it? Where is it? I swear I put it right here . . ."

My hands frantically shuffled through all the papers that were crowding the coffee table in the living room of my suite, each paper a bit worn from how much I had read over them and some even a bit ripped. My brow furrowed as I pulled out the paper I was looking for and read over it quickly before letting out a frustrated growl and flinging it away.

"Where is the other goddamn paper?" I muttered to myself as I tried to remember where I had put it. I had photographic memory. Why was this so hard?

Frustration clouded my mind as I stood up and rushed into the bedroom where even more books and papers were, my feet taking me over to a pile of books labeled Blueprints where several sheets of Monster Capital blueprints lay. I shifted through most of them before pulling out a stack of ten and flicking through their diagrams, my pupils racing across the text on the pages before I put them back in their box and rushed back into the living room.

"State of Matter, where is that book? I need it for . . ." I trailed off and stopped in my steps. What did I need that book for again?

I closed my eye sockets and let out a breath before opening them again and returning back to the coffee table. "Jensen Time's Handbook to Capturing and Rescues, where's that?" I picked up book after book off the coffee table to try and find the one I was looking for. But like every other damn thing in the suite, I couldn't remember where I had put it.

The frustration was starting to rise up to dangerous levels, causing my hands to shake and my breathing to get faster. I dropped the book I was holding and fumbled for the box of cigarettes in my pocket and the lighter on the coffee table. My hands shook as I clumsily lit the cigarette and stuck it between my teeth, the familiar scent of vanilla and burning wood filling the suite as the smoke curled around my ribs and bones.

Exhaustion washed over me like a tidal wave as I breathed in the smoke, my eye sockets closing as I held my skull in my hands and took deep breaths, trying to calm the anxiety and frustration that had never really left at all.

"Seriously? You have to smoke right now?" Y/N scolded, crossing her arms and giving me a look. I just chuckled and brought the cigarette to my boney lips, breathing in the smoke before letting out a small puff. "It's a stress reliever." "It'll also kill you!" I gave her a look. "I'm a skeleton, I have no lungs." I continued to breathe in the smoke and puff it out, trying to make shapes with the smoke that quickly faded into the air. "Well, I'm human, and that stuff kills humans," she said, scooting away from the puff I blew at her. "But don't you humans smoke too?" She scoffed. "I don'tnever will either. So don't blow anymore smoke into my face!" She screeched, using her hands to try and swat away the smoke.

I blinked and looked up, realizing that I was back in the stupid Persistence suite that I hadn't left in the past three days. "God damnit," I cursed while pulling the cigarette out from between my teeth and crushing it with my fingers. I tossed the wasted cigarette to who-knows-where before turning back to the piles of books and papers on the coffee table.

And sitting right there, on top of the nearest pile, was Jensen Time's Handbook to Captures and Rescues.

"Oh for fuck's sake," I whined out as I snatched up the book and opened it up to read. It talked about a lot of planning and teamwork stuff that I wasn't really interested in, and then it talked about the best ways to pull of a rescue and even gave little scenarios of what might or might not happen during a rescue. It was quite helpful in the aspects I needed, and even gave me some tips on things that I'd probably never use.