31 | Keeping Promises

[ G ]

"G? Where are you? Did you—"

A loud sigh stirred me awake, footsteps closing in towards me before I felt the red blanket that I was under being ripped off my back. I groaned in protest and lazily raised an arm to try and grab the red blanket back. "No, I was gonna . . ." I let out another groan and sat up, my whole body feeling like shit as a headache sprang into my skull.

"You've been avoiding everyone for more than a month now! You need a break, and some social time," the same voice said behind me, my slow brain taking a second to realize that it was Lavender. "Okay, mom," I joked, running a hand down my face before turning to look at her unamused face. "You reek. Go take a shower." I chuckled before letting out a shocked yelp when her hand shot out and grabbed my arm, surprising me with her strength when I was suddenly on my feet and pushed towards the bathroom.

"While you do that, I'll clean up. This place is a mess," she said while turning to stare at all the papers and books I had strewn across the room. I tore my gaze away from the scene and hurried to the bathroom, thankful that there were already clothes inside the small closet, along with towels and other bath stuff. Seriously, how rich is the Persistence?

After taking a quick shower and changing into a dark grey sweater, black skinny jeans, and these faded grey bracelet things with chains at the end, I walked out of the bathroom to find that all my work had been organized and sorted. I stared in awe at the perfectly stacked books before glancing over at Lavender who was reading one of the papers I had written on. Panic pulsed through my bones when I saw which one she was reading.

I was about to dash over and snatch it away from her, but before I could, she glanced up at me with a look of concern. "Is this what you've been dealing with for the past month?" She held up the paper that had scribbles of all the different torture methods that the Monster Capital had, and all the outcomes it would have on humans. I tugged on the sleeve of the grey sweatshirt I was wearing and averted my gaze.

"G," Lavender urged, standing up and grabbing another sheet of paper where it listed all the prison numbers that I could remember. "Please tell me you haven't been doing this alone." I chuckled and rolled the sleeves up on the sweatshirt, still not looking her in the eye when I shrugged. "If you're thinking I'm starting to develop . . . things, then you're wrong." I gave her a smile that even I didn't believe. "I'm fine."

But, of course, since she's the all-powerful Lavender, she didn't believe my smile either.

She pointed to the couch across from her before plopping back down in her own seat. I sighed and sat down on the couch, grabbing the red blanket from beside me and rubbing the material between my fingers while I stared down at the tiny stitches in the blanket. "Okay," Lavender started, setting both papers down on the coffee table. "You're going to drop everything for a day, and actually go out and into the cavern, okay?"

My brows furrowed in disinterest as I stared at the papers she had set down, my mind flashing back to a certain person experiencing each one.

I blinked and mentally shook all the thoughts away, not wanting to appear weak in front of anyone. "Do I have to?" I whined, already knowing the answer before she spoke it. "Yes, and don't you dare try and come back until sunset."

I glared at her hands before resting my back against the couch with a defeated sigh. "Fine." Lavender smiled and stood up, motioning for me to do the same as she led—more like dragged—me over to the elevator. "Aren't you going to leave that here?" She motioned to the red blanket that I was still holding. "And also put on some shoes?" I shook my skull and tied the blanket around my waist like a jacket before rolling the pant legs up to make them stop a few inches above the bottom of my fibula.