28 | Freedom Feels Good

[ Y/N ]

"Okay, you understand what's going to happen after I leave, right?" I asked Frisk while adjusting the arm band on my calf. They nodded and kicked their feet back and forth from where they were sitting on the bottom bunk. "Are you sure this'll work?" they asked as they watched me roll the legs up on my cargo pants so that my feet and ankles showed, back to their healthy color now that I wasn't wearing the metal bands.

After Alphys had showed me her plan, she had let me go back to my cell to tell Frisk and Grillby her escape plans while she went to go tell the Co-Captain of the Monster Guard—Undyne, I think her name was—the plans. And for the last two weeks, the five of us have been anxiously awaiting the day when we all would escape the Monster Capital for good. And finally, today was that day.

One minute, I thought as I tied my hair up and rolled the sleeves down on my jacket. "Yes, it'll work," I reassured Frisk before sitting down next to them and giving a quick-side hug. "And when we're free, we'll go find everyone else, okay?" Frisk smiled and gave me a side hug back. "Okay." I smiled and ruffled their hair before the sound of the elevator doors' dinging sounded out from down the hall.

The two guards showed up to our cell on time and opened the door to grab me and haul me out, my arms starting to ache as they gripped me firmly and led me over to the elevator. To not make them suspicious, I struggled in their grasp as I normally did, trying to break my arms free and run away. But just like always, their grip was viselike and firm. Stupid guards.

"Ah! Prisoner #1-543880! Just the person I wanted to see," Dalton chirped when the elevator doors opened to reveal him standing in the doorway of the torture room with a familiar wicked looking knife in his hand. I scowled at him as the guards dragged me out and into the torture room, their strong arms holding me down and tying me up on the dreaded metal table that I was starting to have nightmares of.

Dalton smiled at me and held up the knife to show all the bloodstains that were on it. "You know, before you came along, I hadn't used this knife on anyone," he said while tracing a furry finger down the flat side of the blade. "Just look at how tainted it's become since you showed up." I stared at the bloodstains—my bloodstains—on the knife before quickly looking away.

"Anywho," Dalton said. "I've got some fun things planned for today, so I'll just go ahead and get this part over with before we start this party." He expertly pressed the tip of the knife to my forehead where my scar began and reopened the wound with one swift slice, a cruel smile spreading across his face when I let out a short scream. The wound stung and bled into my right eye like it always did, making the taste of bile rise into my throat as my hands clenched into fists and shook.

He set the knife down on the counter before grabbing two vials filled with what looked like colorful smoke. "I'd suggest that you answer my question today," Dalton said as he turned around and shook the two vials. "Where is the Persistence base?" I stared at the two vials suspiciously before shaking my head and looking away. "I don't know." Dalton sighed and raised his eyebrows. "Are you sure?" I gave him a side glare. "I'm sure."

He stared at me for a few seconds before shrugging and popping open both stoppers on the smokey vials. "Okay then, guess we'll just have to try again tomorrow." One guard walked over and forced my mouth open as Dalton poured both of the vials contents down my throat, the taste sending me sputtering as both the guard and Dalton backed away.

That's when the effects hit.

My eyes clouded over as I was suddenly floating in empty space, black all around me and no way to tell which way was up or down. My eyes widened in fear as I frantically looked around for any source of light or something to tell me where I was. "Hello?" I shouted. An echo was all I got in response.