07 | Gotta Have Protection

[ G ]

Just . . . another . . . mile . . . and then . . .

"Fuck," I panted, collapsing to the ground where a lay for a minute with Y/N crushing my body. I had been walking for the past six hours up the mountain while carrying Y/N and our supplies. I had made it to the peak of the mountain but I still had four miles to go if I wanted to make it into the town.

Grunting with effort, I pushed myself up and let Y/N roll over onto the ground where she lay, still asleep. The cold night air chilled my bones and the sounds of crickets annoyed me to a level where I wanted to blast the whole damn valley to ashes.

I glanced over at Y/N and saw her chest rising and falling quickly, her cheek resting on the ground and her back facing the sky. Her face was scrunched up in pain from a nightmare she was having, her body shuddering every few seconds and her fist clenching and un-clenching itself. I took her bag off her back and plopped it on the ground next to her head before letting out an exhausted breath.

I looked over and saw down into the valley from far up, a cluster of buildings and smoke from chimneys in the distance where the town was. I should keep going, I thought, running a hand down my face. But I'm so tired . . .

My hand ended at my mouth, holding it there while I glanced over at Y/N. I really didn't want to carry her again—it was starting to hurt my back. I didn't want to walk either, my legs were sore from walking for so long while carrying a person. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to get a few hours of sleep, right?

I sighed and made up my mind, laying down on the ground and letting my eye sockets stare into space. I reached over towards Y/N and picked up a braid I had made earlier, twirling it around my fingers and feeling the soft hair.

Hair is weird, it comes in so many different colors that range from blonde to black. They also come in different types as well—curly, straight, wavy, frizzy, and a bunch of others. Hair acts weird too, how you can't feel anything when it gets cut or how it being so light that it bounces when you walk. At least hair is pretty, the way it shines and frames a person's face makes it look nice. I like hair.

My eye sockets started to close and I let my body go limp, my hand dropping the braid and falling against Y/N's cheek. I noticed her body relax as my hand rested on her face, her expression turning slack and a relieved breath escaping her lips. It was as if the nightmare she was having had stopped at my touch. I took my hand off her cheek and watched as her face slowly contorted back into pain.

Huh . . . that's weird . . .

My eye sockets finally closed and I let my hand fall to the ground, the light breeze and soft moonlight that broke through the clouds lulling me to sleep.

[ Y/N ]

A gasp escaped my lips and my eyes flew open, my wild look and heavy breathing causing my pulse to race. It took me a few seconds to realize that I was okay and in reality before I let out a whimper and closed my eyes, the nightmare I had woken up from burning fresh in my mind. Stupid nightmares always having to give me heart attacks.

I opened my eyes and saw something laying on the ground in front of my face. Curiosity took over as I brought the thing in front of me to see that it was a boney hand with a large hole in the palm. My gaze flickered out of focus to see who the hand was connected to.

G lay asleep in front of me, a contented look on his face with his mouth slightly open and his body limp. Still in my sleepy state, I put his hand that had been laying in front of me on top of his skull and giggled when it fell off and onto his face. What's wrong with me?