Chapter Four (First draft-Unedited)

Amaris' POV
I stare at the reply I actually received from my brother until my screen dims.

Damn!  They are seriously on their way here?! Like now?! Well this is completely unexpected and giving me unnecessary anxiety.  Maybe they are driving and it'll give me enough time to escape before they arrive.  I squeeze my eyes together and send off a silent, begging, request to the dear Lord above.

Yeah, that's unlikely.

"Oh, shut up!" I yell out loud to the snark in my own head.  My eyes widen and quickly look around making sure nobody was near the window next to my room door or they might've just witnessed my slight drift into crazy.

I decide to just reply to Luca before I get too stressed about my parents and forget to, then make Luca think I'm mad at him all over again. Which it still hurts how he abandoned me just as they did, and his abandonment hurt the worst. We were so close. My big brother was always my best friend. I never understood how he could basically go on as though I never even existed.

Me:
Thank you, Luca. And I love you too. I'm sorry I quit attempting to talk but I felt like I wasn't loved anymore by you guys. I felt abandoned. Disowned. My heart was broken into a thousand pieces, three times over. It felt like such a big loss, a tragedy more or less. Like my family just died. But at the same time, death would've been easier to accept... that would've been you all involuntarily leaving me... if I would've known that my family would erase me, I never would've even applied to the University of San Diego. I would've stayed local in New Jersey or nearby. But we can talk more about that later. I don't understand why mom and dad are coming? I'll be released soon since my injuries aren't critical like they initially thought. They don't need to waste their precious time on me. I'm not sure they will like coming to see me because I won't be waiting with open arms. They will be lucky if all I say or do is flip them the bird. They don't even have the decency to tell me themselves that they are on their way. Go figure. Bet they don't know you gave me a heads up. Did they ever tell you my last name now? Or that I got married? I only slightly mentioned it to them when it was going to happen because I knew they wouldn't partake in it. Just wondering if they even told you...

A part of me feels guilty with some of what I said, but I'm just speaking from my heart. My feelings need to be known, especially while I have at least someone's attention. At least while someone is responding and acknowledging my existence.

The more I think about it, I bet they never told Luca about my wedding. I didn't bother telling him myself because I didn't feel like answering fifty questions.  If he would have even bothered to ask any that is.  The old Luca would have.  The Luca I grew up knowing would've been annoying with trying to find out everything about him and giving Devin the third degree. He would've given him the 'If you break my baby sister's heart, I'll kill you' speech. He sure missed the opportunity because Devin couldn't keep his hands to himself. The Luca that I don't know, I'm not so sure.  Hell, he probably wouldn't have even acknowledged the text.

Knock.Knock.Knock.

The sudden knocking on my door snapped me out of my thoughts as though a bucket of ice water was tossed over my head. I hurriedly glanced at my reflection in the little hand mirror my aide was so kind to fetch me, and saw that whereas I'm bruised and cut, stitched on the chin, I'm presentable nonetheless.  My hair isn't even wild looking considering I haven't brushed it since before getting on the four wheeler yesterday.

Oh my gosh... Ryan!!!

My mind begins to wander off again when three more knocks rapidly clattered against the door again, along with the familiar voice of my mother. "Amaris, sweetie, can we come in?" My mother's ever soft, lulling voice sang through the door to me.