Chapter 17

I had found a hidden courage in me that had been discovered in those weeks of training I never knew I had. I had began to fell stronger, more powerful. That courage decided to show itself that day.

"What do you want with me?" I yelled, my face burning with anger.

"Oh, we won't hurt you, we will jsut keep you until our victory. Without you, your warriors are helpless." he stated.

"Who said you would be the victor?" I enquired bravley.

"I did." he said, laughing maniacly, "My troops hav had far better trainging than yours, and even if you were there, the Aqua wouldn't have a chance! Why, our soldiers have been training for years! And your little scouts have been training for what, a month? Pah!"

I imagined a group of buff Ignis faeries compared to our puny faeries. But I knew the Aqua's power. "

We'll see about that!" I spat at him, his arrogance sickening me.

"I've had enough of you banter. Lesley?" he called, and a short, chubby faerie rushed into my veiw.

Her hair was long and tangled, and her dress was muddy and ripped. But what captured me, was her eyes. Big, round, and full of sorrow. My own eyes welled up; her eyes reminded me of a photo back at home.

The sun was shining through the patio doors of my Nan's conservatory. She passed me a peice of folded paper, brown with age. I shot a questioning look at her; she nodded back. I opened it, and a little girl stared back at me. She looked familiar, but there was a certian sadness in her eyes. Nan smiled.

"Do you know who that is?" I shook my head.

"It's your mother."

I realised the similarity now.

Nan carried on, "This was took the day your grandfather got ill. I didn'tt wish to tell her, but she over heard me discussing the details over the phone. "Mummy, whats wrong with Daddy?" the worried in her voice was unbearable: I had to tell her."

A soft tear fell down my warm cheek.

"The day Bertie passed away was the worst. Your mum was so miserable, it was painful seeing her like that. I never want to see you like that."

By this time, my face was damp and my breathing was heavy.

"I'm giving you this as a reminder. A reminder that no matter what happens, me and your mum will always be there for you. And, of course, Bertie will always be watching and protecting you..." she trailed of slowly, tears spilling down her face.

She sniffed, and took me in her arms, both of us sobbing.

She whispered, "Everything will be fine."

A timid voice interupted my deep thoughts, "Yes, Caput?"

"Get her some food and drink, I don't care what, just get it now!" Caput demanded.

"Yes, Caput." said the girl, and ran off.

"Oh by the way, that will be your servant, Lesley. She will keep you company, but don't get too attached, you won't be here for long..." he said as he walked off through a stone door.

I was left alone. To cry.