❤Chapter Six❤

Chapter Six. 

Naomi *POV*

I lay in bed wide awake, not wanting to fall asleep. I've been at it for over 12 hours now, it's now three in the morning. Why would I want to go to sleep, knowing I'd have nightmares about my mother and father? The real question here is, why am I having nightmares again? I thought these passed. I hadn't had these nightmares since I was ten, now they are back, and I don't know why. I bit my lip and roll on my side, looking at my dark purple room. Everything was pretty much purple with rose designs, except for the tv and a couple other things. I suddenly shiver from the breeze that has made it's way in my room. I rise out of my bed, walking to the window, and shut it. I sit down in my grandmother's old rocking chair and grab a book, Pride And Prejudice. My grandmother told me that Pride And Prejudice was my mother's favorite book, and Jane Austen was her favorite author. I always tried to get info about my mother from my grandma, and I did, sometimes. But most of the time, she wouldn't talk about her dead daughter and what she liked, because it made her sad. I remember sitting on the porch of my granny's house once when I was ten, going on eleven. I was watching a nearby neighbor play with her daughter.  My grandma, broke me out of my gaze, coming out with a tray that had tea and butterscotch cookies on it. She was smiling, her white hair blowing in the wind. She sat next to me and sat the tray down on the table in front of us. I smiled back at her, although the smile was forced. She sensed it and handed me a cookie. "How are you, Naomi?" She asked, taking a sip of the tea. I shrugged. "Okay, I guess." She nods. "Have you been sleeping okay?" I take a bite out of my cookie and shake my head. No I hadn't been sleeping well at all. I'd done my best to try not to sleep, so I didn't have to deal with those horrid nightmares of my father killing my mom. I never told my grandma about the nightmares, I'd always kept them to myself. I didn't want to stress my grandmother out about them. She frowns and sets her tea down. "Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. Do you want a sleeping pill tonight?" I freeze and then immediately say, "No! I'm fine, gram. Really, I am." I never wanted to take one of those things again. I had taking one a while ago and it didn't go so well. I was having a really bad nightmare and I tried so hard to wake up, but I couldn't. When I finally did wake up, I was frightened more than ever and refused to take another of those, because I couldn't wake up. She nods and runs her frail fingers through my hair. "Naomi, you have to sleep. I can't have you falling asleep in your classes now. Your grades will go down." I just nod, finally taking a sip of my tea. I didn't care about school anyway. "Promise me that you'll try to sleep tonight. Otherwise, you'll have to take the sleeping pills." I swallow my fear and look at her. "Yes, Grandma. I promise you, that I will try to sleep tonight." She nods. "Good, now I am in a good mood today. Would you like to know somethings about your mom?" I feel excitement rising and I grin, nodding eagerly. She smiles at my reaction. "What would you like to know?" I scoot back in my seat and swing my legs back and forth, thinking. Finally I came up with a question. "Grandma, what made mom marry a man like dad?" Grandma paused and looked away. I immediately regretted asking such a dumb question. She turned back to me, her face expressionless. She licked her lips and took a deep breath. "Your mother was drunk, one night. She saw this man who was leaving at the bar, she didn't have a ride home, so she asked him for one. Eventually, he said yes. He didn't take her home though, he took her to a hotel. A couple weeks later, your mother called me saying that she was pregnant. She was scared and didn't know what to do, so she called your father back. He was happy and promised to help her take care of you. Your mother fell in love with him, and I mean, in love. She loved your father so, so much and she would do anything for him. He seemed like a good guy at first, but after they married, things changed. How did your mother fall for a guy like your father? I have no idea. At the time, your mother couldn't tell who he really was, but I could. I knew something was wrong with him, but I never knew he was a...murderer." She stopped talking, wiping a few tears that had fallen from her eyes. I hated seeing grandma upset. I stood up, putting a hand on grandma's shoulder, before dismissing myself to my mother's old room. I sat in her bed and let the tears fall. After that day, I didn't learn much more about my mother. The topic was just too painful.  I set the book down, that I wasn't even reading, and fall asleep in the wooden chair.