Chapter Thrity One: Memories (Part Two)

"Scott, we've been waiting for what seems like forever." Scott and I were sitting outside of the tent. My patience was wearing thin. Scott gave me a look that showed his growing frustration. "Look Tobias, dad told us to stay put. There is something out there..." He paused. For a few moments, there was an unsettling silence. Suddenly there came a cry, Scott and I jumped up. "What was that?!" I cried. Scott shook his head, "I'm not sure."

Before I could stop him, Scott dashed into the darkness. I stood there, unsure of what to do. Scott had left, I was alone, standing there, completely vulnerable. Another cry rang out, this time different, and I could definitely identify what it was. It was a human sound. The cry sounded horrible, almost like a wail. That was when I knew it was Scott's. I ran towards the sound. As I ran, I kept hearing something that made my skin crawl.

The noise reminded me of footsteps. Only, there was something not quite right about them. I slowed down. I had made it into the dense trees. I was disoriented, I was trying to listen for the wails of Scott. I heard nothing now, but the distant hooting of an owl. The snap of a fallen branch made me spin around. "Scott? Is that you?" My voice was barely audible.

There was no response. I began to tremble violently. Something was out there, watching me. Another twig snapped. I jumped. "Show yourself," I fought to keep my voice steady. Out of the darkness came a low growl. It sent a shiver up my spine. I began to back away, I needed to find Scott and dad.

I turned around, my heart thumping against my chest. Suddenly I heard it, another low growl. I froze on the spot. Whatever it was, it was getting closer. I quickened my pace, praying that I would find Scott and dad before anything else happened. Suddenly, I heard a howl. It was a howl unlike anything I had heard before.

I bolted, not daring to look back. There were pounding footfalls behind me. Whatever was behind me was gaining. Suddenly, I tripped, falling to the dirt. I was panting, sweat dribbling down my brow. I turned slowly, waiting for whatever it was to come out. I gave a gasp when I saw two yellow eyes staring at me.

Out of the darkness stepped a beast. It was huge, it's paws were almost as big as my head. It stopped when it saw me. My chest was beginning to tighten, I wanted to push myself back up, and run as far as I possibly could. My legs were frozen to their spot, I was trapped. The beast and I locked eyes, my mind racing to try and figure out what was going to happen.

Then, it happened. The animal lunged, I gave a yell as it landed upon me, tearing at my body. I lay there, the beast ripping at me, when there was a sudden bang. The creature fell limp, "Tobias!!" Scott had found me. "Scott, help me," my voice was growing weaker, everything was spinning. I could hear Scott running towards me. "Oh, Tobias," Scott was crying.

"Scott, where's dad?" I asked, my voice was low. I was losing too much blood, I was extremely light headed. "Toby... Dad's dead, I found his body, it had been mauled, I ran back to the camp, I couldn't find you, I went into dad's tent found his rifle, and heard the howl, I am so lucky to have found you." He took a breath. He was sobbing.

I closed my eyes, my brain was slowly closing itself off to the world. "Scott, quickly, go find help..." My words broke off and I fell unconscious...

My thoughts were interupted by the heavy thud against the closet door. My eyes flew open, the low growls of Marcus were getting louder. He was going to get in, I was completely trapped. My heartbeat quickened, I needed to think of something. Suddenly the growling went quiet. I felt my blood turn to ice, what had happened? I sat there, listening to the silence. He was out there, waiting, I just knew it.

I bit my lip, it was now or never, I would have to make a run for it...