Chapter Three: The Announcement

I drank the tea slowly, taking small sips. My eyes were resting on the brochure that lay beside me. Mum was nibbling at a biscuit. I took in the twitch of her hands, she was nervous. I frowned, why would mum be nervous? I coughed, trying to break the awkward silence. It remained quiet, I narrowed my eyes. She was hiding something, I was sure of it. Only, what was it? I kept looking at the brochure, something about it captivated me.

I was trying to figure out if it was the fact there was a place that looked like a 15th Century castle or the name on the brochure. 'Hollow's Grove' the name reminded me of a title for a horror story. "Mum," I said glancing up at her. "What's this?" I pointed down at the brochure. She took a quick look at the brochure, than she sighed. "Oh, um, well, while I was at work today this man came up to me and gave me it. He said that it was a boarding school."

I almost chocked on my tea, "Wait a minute, let me get this straight. This man just walked up to you and gave you a brochure to a boarding school?" I couldn't help but laugh, "Who is he to just give you a boarding school brochure? How on earth would he even know you had a child?" She shrugged, "I don't know Toby, but he said that if I needed to give you an extraordinary education, then I should send you there."

I stared, dumbfounded at my mother. She had just accepted a total stranger's advice on how to get me a proper schooling. We stared at one another for a moment, no one said a word. "What, come on mum, it must be just a joke, and it's probably someone's idea of how they can get recognized." I broke the silence unable to hold in my comments. She just shrugged, not saying anything.

I picked up the brochure and began to study it carefully. It didn't seem fake, to be perfectly honest it looked completely ligate. I looked back up at mum. She was sitting there, now chewing at her nails. "I thought that I could send you there, maybe help you with your depression." I grimaced, I wasn't depressed. I was horrified that I would end up mauling a person.

Though I really couldn't express that to her. Of course if I wished to find myself in a strait jacket. Locked away in a padded cell. Used as an experiment by manic scientists. I would tell her all that had happened over the course of several years. Only, I didn't wish for that to ever happen. My poor mother's heart would probably fail her if she found out my darkest secret.

"Toby, I know that I took you out of school, but I think that we should start anew." Her voice was soft now. She looked at me, her eyes wide. I knew that she was just thinking of my future, only I didn't have the heart to tell her that I didn't really have a future. Instead I forced a smile, "That's a great idea mum. I think I will try it out." Her face brightened, I hadn't seen my mother this happy in months. "Oh, you make me so proud."

She got up and opened her arms and smiled. "Come and give me a hug." I got up and headed over to her. We hugged for what seemed like forever. Finally we pulled apart. She looked like she was overflowing with joy. I kept my forced smile, deep down I was hyperventilating. I needed some air, "Um, I think I'm going to take a walk." I admitted. She nodded, "Yep, that's fine, I should start dinner." With that we went on our separate ways.

I hurried out of the house and into the cool evening breeze. I took a long relaxed breath once outside. I felt awful for lying to my mum, but I just couldn't stand the idea of seeing her so sad anymore. If anything she was much more depressed then I was. I turned and headed towards the darkening tree-line, all the way thinking of my mother's smile...