Chapter Twelve: The Pine Forest

I ran for what seemed like forever. Finally as the sun came up, I slowed my pace. I didn't know how long I had before they realized that I was no longer in my bedroom. I had made some progress. I couldn't see the school anymore. The pines had swallowed it up. I was now alone in the middle of a forest. The song of a sparrow pierced the silence. I headed on, my satchel upon my back. I walked on a few more hours before coming upon a large stream.

I glanced up at the sky, closing my eyes and giving a small prayer of thanks. I was close to dehydrating. The water was cool on my overly sweaty skin. I had undressed and dipped into the waters for a short swim. As I lay on my back, letting the water take me, I heard the snap of a branch. My head shot up, and my ears pricked. The wolf seemed to go on the edge as well.

I turned over and swam back towards the bank. My heart rate had increased, who was it? Or worse, what was it? That's when my wolf began to snarl, it bared its fangs. I knew that there was something there, I dived under and stayed there for a couple of minutes. I held on to my breath for as I could before I felt as though my lungs would burst. I broke the surface, gasping for air.

I seemed to be alone, there was no one around. I frowned, but it seemed as though my wolf believed it to be safe once more. It did not snarl or bare its fangs instead it curled up and yawned. I swam back to the bank and got out of the water. Once back on the land I got dressed as fast as possible and headed off. As I walked through the thick pines I felt as though I was being watched. I glanced about nervously.

It seemed normal enough, but I couldn't shake the feeling. My wolf slept away, he was seemingly unaware of this. I grimaced, some help he was. The forest had become as silent as a graveyard. I didn't hear a sound. I hoped that it was just paranoia that was taking over. Finally I came out of the pines, and was entering a large maple bush. Here I could hear the cries of birds, a squirrel scampered past me.

I took a relaxed breath, the feeling was gone. I gave a swift glance back at the pines, they looked so foreboding, even with the soft sunbeams that danced about. I shuddered, whatever was in there, it wasn't natural. I quickened my pace once more. I wanted to get a good distance from the pines...