Chapter One: The Transformation

My feet ached as I ran across the gravel road. Inside, I could feel the change slowly coming upon me. I hurried to get away from my home. I needed to get safely into the woods. The bite that plagued my left arm was searing with pain. This wasn't my first time turning, but this time I would be more prepared. I must have looked strange to a passerby. Some seventeen year old boy, making a dash for the nearby forest only wearing a ripped t-shirt and boxers.

Luckily for me, it was too late at night for anyone to be out. As I got closer to the dark tree-line, I felt a jolt writhe through my spine. The full moon was coming to its peak in the sky. I lurched into the blackness. As I moved quickly through the brush, I gave a swift glance up into the night sky. The light of the moon washed over me. Suddenly there came a sickening crack from my legs. I fell to the ground, that's when the true agony began.

I gave a yell as my chest began to expand into the body, and torso of a wolf. My face started to stretch outwards in a snout-like manner. My ears enlarged, and pointed outwards. The pain got more and more unbearable as my canines sharpened and grew downwards. My lower body was contorting into the hind legs of the beast. My arms and hands twisted themselves into front paws. My fingernails elongated into huge claws.

My regular short auburn hair had grown out into a fine fur. My tail bone began to stretch. By now any humanity left in my body ebbed away. I shot a pleading glance up at the sky, "Please, help-" My voice was cut and a howl ripped through me. I knew that I was no longer the one who had authority. The wolf in me was now in charge. As my world slipped away and the night became the wolves, I gave one last mournful cry...

I awoke amongst dense reeds. Groaning, I pushed my bruised and battered self, upwards. The wolf had managed to get itself as close to the local lake and camping spot as it could. I could hear the soft calls of the water fowl that flew past where I sat. I rubbed at the dirt that had plastered itself upon my bare chest. It had obviously been a rough hunt for the wolf. I noted that I had at least ten fresh scars on my lower abdomen. I scoured the area, no one in sight.

Giving a heavy sigh of relief I shifted my weight and got up. After a night of being on all fours my legs stumbled clumsily around. I staggered through the reeds, praying that no matter what would catch me out here. I was buck naked. My clothing was probably ripped up from the transformation. The reeds were in a more swampy area near the lake. I trudged through the thick mud, grimacing to myself every once and awhile.

As I got closer to the edge of the reeds I found myself gagging. The smell, it was horrendous. I wished that I had some cloth to hold up to my nose. The thick reeds made it impossible to see. I swept at the reeds, pushing them aside. Trying to catch a glimpse of whatever made the stench. Then without warning I came out of the reeds. I tumbled out of the muddy reeds and on to something wet.

I felt my stomach flip when I saw what I had unknowingly fell into too. There lying in a pool of blood was the carcass of a young doe. I felt a twinge of guilt as I crouched down to take a closer look. I closed my eyes and pursed my lips with frustration. I had killed this innocent creature.

I saw the bite marks that were on the poor soul's back. I growled, and picked myself up. I had to get home and wash, the scent of the dead deer was slowly seeping into my skin. As I hiked back through the bush I tried to think of some good excuses for my disappearance. My mother would be on my case if I came home stark and bruised with mud all over. I gazed up at the clear summer sky, racking my brain for suitable ideas.

Just then there came a soft cry "Hey Tobias, over here!" I turned, my older brother stood at the edge of the woods. In his hands he held a long jacket. I felt a wave of relief wash over me, Scott had actually remembered. He was the only person who knew about my 'furry little problem'. He was there when the beast bit me. He was also there when I had turned for the first time.

As I got closer Scott threw the jacket over me. "Luckily mum's already gone to work. She didn't even check your room." He said as we walked back to our home. I nodded, feeling as though a weight had been lifted off my chest. "So are there any messes I need to know about?" He asked as we got closer to our house. I nodded, "Yes, um, I ate a doe." He stopped in his tracks.

His face went a shade of white, "You ate a doe?" He asked, his voice was disbelieving, I nodded. He seemed to stare at me with a look of shock. "What on earth are we going to do with you?" He asked, I shrugged, "Send me to the pound I guess." We were silent for a couple more minutes before burst out into laughter, "No seriously bro, we need to think about this." Scott had stopped joking now.

I wiped the tears from my eyes. I didn't have an answer for him. "Look, just try to be more discreet about your wolf." He sounded serious. I took a breath, "Look, I can't do anything about it, I'm sorry." We walked on in an awkward silence. Finally when we got back, Scott looked at me, his eyes scrutinizing me. "You know what. You need a shower, and some homemade waffles." That sounded like a good deal to me, I headed for the door.

Scott shook his head and began to laugh as he followed closely behind...