Chapter Twenty Five: The Plan

I waited until I knew that the room was completely empty before dropping to the ground and grabbing the keys. I shifted my gaze over to Mary's body that lay motionless upon the floor. She looked lifeless. I felt my heart skip a beat. 'Please, don't be dead.' My mind cried as I struggled to open the cage door. As soon as I got myself out of the cage I raced over to Mary.

She looked comatose. I bit my lip and stared down at the girl. I needed to get out of this madhouse. Mary was needed serious medical attention. I took a heavy breath. It looked as if I would have to pick Mary up. "Right, here goes nothing." I muttered as I grabbed Mary. Man was she heavy. I put her down and took a breath. I needed to get the two of us out of here.

Just then there came a bang from the door. I glanced upwards. The wolf within began to growl. 'I knew it, they lied.' My mind spat. I got up slowly, and walked slowly over to the door. Bang, someone was trying to get in. I crouched down low. The wolf and I were both snarling now. Suddenly the door flew open. I gasped and jumped back in surprise.

Two cloaked figures ran into the room. I stopped snarling, they seemed familiar somehow. "Wait, Tobias, it's us!" The figures unwound their cloaks, my eyes lit up at the sight of the two. "Guys, but I thought th- Kodiak put her hands up and gave me a smile. "We don't care that you're a werewolf Toby, in fact we found it fascinating." I gasped as she said this.

"Wow really? I thought that you hadn't wanted to talk to me ever again." I admitted. She laughed, "No, we actually felt terrible once you left." Fox nodded in agreement, "Yeah, so we kind of followed you back here. We've been hiding out for a while now." I felt myself give a small smile, "Well thanks guys, but how did you find me?" That was one thing I wanted to know.

They looked at one another, their eyes shining. "Well, we had overheard a guard telling his partner about how the mistress had ordered him and some others to watch two teens. He said that one teen was a werewolf. The other teen was supposed to be the werewolf's target or something. But then he said that it hadn't worked and they had moved you away. So we knew that it was you, but who is the other teen?" I gulped when they asked me that.

Slowly I turned and pointed over to Mary. She lay there, completely motionless. When Kodiak and Fox saw her, their eyes went wide. "Eagle," they cried as they ran over to her. I stayed back watching the others. Their eyes were filling with fresh tears when they saw that even though they tried to revive Mary, she wasn't responding.

"Tobias, oh, lord, help she isn't waking up!" Kodiak screamed at me. I was frozen with fear. "I don't know what to do," I admitted. The two stared at me, their eyes wide. "We can't do anything else then." Fox said slowly. I felt my heart sink as he closed Mary's eyes. "She's gone." He said quietly.

The three of us stood there for a few moments, letting the realization of Mary being gone sink in. As I stood there something within me seemed to snap. The wolf and I seemed to become one for a moment. Before I knew what I was doing I fell to the floor, threw back my head and howled. It was a sorrowful howl.

It was a howl to show how much Mary had meant to me. Kodiak and Fox stood there quietly. Their heads were down in respect. Finally I regained my humanity and pushed myself back to my feet. Turning to Kodiak and Fox and I looked into their eyes and said slowly, "Let's go, let's teach them a few lessons." They nodded in agreement.

"Sounds like a good plan, but we're going to need some more help." Fox said. I nodded, "Yes, let's get the rest of your group." With that the three of us headed out of the room in search of the others from Fox and Kodiak's team...