Chapter 14

"Aunt Kelly is a straight up B.I.T.C.H, Bitch!" A young Ciara collapsed onto the couch. Her dangling silver skull earrings waved back and forward.

"Watch your language," Sambuca warned. "Eleven year old girls don't talk like that."

She folded her arms across her chest. "Why can't I stay with you? I'm closer to you than that freaking sea hag."

"She is your mother's sister," he explained. "And the court gave her custody."

"This is bullsh..." She caught herself after Sambuca gave her a long stare. "I mean bullcrap. Why did mother have to die?"

Sambuca sat next to her on the couch. He didn't have the courage to tell her how her mother died or what her mother did. He wanted to stay true to Helen's wishes. "I missed her too. Y'all were the closest thing I have to a family."

Ciara rested her head on his shoulder. "You know Aunt Kelly hates you." She looked at him and pulled his goatee.

"She never liked me," Sambuca said.

"It's because you're black," Ciara explained. "She doesn't want your blackness to rub off on me."

"Deep down she's insecure."

"Up front she's a racist bitch!" Ciara was always a smart, witty person that loved to swear. Sambuca tried to curve the cursing, but that was becoming a losing battle.

"Language," he warned again. He quickly changed the subject. "Are you still doing your drills?" Referring to the series of exercises and fighting techniques that Sambuca had been teaching her for years.

"Of course," she replied. "It the only thing that keep me focus." She pulled back her long raven hair into a pony-tail, which exposed the freshly shaved sides of her head. Sambuca noticed, but wasn't going to say anything. "I did this," she pointed to her hair, "to piss off my aunt."

"Did she freak?"

"Yeah." She walked over to the door and picked up her backpack. "I guess it is time to go home, before she calls the police on me."

"I'll be here if you ever need to talk."

"I know." Despite the constant interference from the Aunt, Sambuca and Ciara always maintained some form of friendship.

###

At the age of fourteen, Ciara was going through the misunderstood emo look, wearing heavy eye make-up and black lipstick

At the age of fourteen, Ciara was going through the misunderstood emo look, wearing heavy eye make-up and black lipstick. She grew out her hair jet black hair way passed her shoulders and started to support bangs. She was pretty, but she was always a pretty girl, no matter how she looked. It wasn't just her look that changed, her relationship between Sambuca had changed as well.

She was going through her mother's belongings. She laughed at old pictures from her mother's high school yearbooks and other photos. She went through her mother's clothes. Aunt Kelly called the clothes vintage, which was just an excuse to charge more money for old stuff, if Ciara ever decided to sell them. They were the only things she had left from her mother. She continued to look through the old boxes, when she came across her mother's journal. She opened the book and there was a strange handwritten title on the first page, 'Tales of a Vampire Hunter.'