Chapter 13

The air in the station was polluted with the high pitch rings of the phones. Waves of detectives entering and leaving the station. They were following leads that led nowhere. Bad coffee and stale pastries didn't provide any relief and didn't improve morale. The dead bodies were piling up, but not just in the city. The surrounding counties had their share. The detectives working on all angles, but none, not even the cult idea, was making sense. All the victims were different ages, race and body types. Only thing they had in common were their slit throats.

The morning was one of the few times she could do her paperwork. Her fingers rapidly pounded on the keyboard. Her perfect manicure nails clicked with each stroke. Her cellphone kept on vibrating, but she didn't answer. She kept on hitting the ignore button. She needed to focus on her work. Her phone vibrated several more times. The caller wasn't getting the hint.

"Do you need to answer that?" Detective Hansen asked. He served as Sarah's partner for the past five years. He was a tall and pudgy man. He was in his late fifties and was counting the days until he retires. His hair was thinning on top, but he mastered the art of the comb over. He had a full mustache. Sarah though he looked like old fat out of work porn star. He was still very nice man. He was happily married to his high school sweetheart and was loyal. Even though, Sarah caught him staring at her tits and ass several time a day. He might be married, but wasn't dead.

"It's just Roger," Sarah replied. "If it's important, he could text me. Besides, I got too much shit to do." That wasn't the reason she was avoiding his calls. Roger was a nice guy and a good husband. He didn't cheat on her, hit her or emotionally abusive to her. Sarah had to accept the fact that she was falling out of love with Roger and it was one person fault, Ciara. Bullshit, it wasn't Ciara. Sarah had been emotionally dead to Roger for the last couple of years. She didn't know how her marriage got so sedated.

"Shit," said Detective Hansen. "If I kept on ignoring my wife phone calls, she would whoop my ass."

"It's a lot of ass to whip," Sarah added.

"True," he said, "but she like my big white chucky moon."

She covered her face, trying to hide her smile, but failed. Not only did a smile came out, but a sweet soft chuckle. Then her phone went off again.

"He really needs to talk to you," he said.

"I really need to talk to him too. Excuse me." She got from her desk and started to walk out of the room. Like clockwork, Hansen quickly turned around and a huge smile came on his face as he stared at her ass.

Sarah walked into the bathroom and checked under the stall to secure her privacy. She let out a deep breath and finally returned the call from Roger.

"I've been calling all morning, honey bun." That was his pet name for her.

She sighed. "You know the morning is bad for me. So, what's up?"

"I know," Roger explained. "I'm on my way to the airport and I will not be returning home tonight."

She hated to admit to herself, but it was the best news she heard today, but she could let him know that. "Why?"

"That bastard, Holloway, is sending me to corporate to put the final touches on the Cummingham's deal." Roger was an accountant. He talked in a language that she didn't understand and didn't care to understand. Her eyes rolled and she dazed out as Roger was explaining the reason for the trip. The only thing that she picked up from the call was that Roger wasn't going to be home.

"Okay, Sweetie." She forgot to hide her lack of excitement in her tone and Roger picked up on it.

"You sound down?"