Chapter 26

The next day at school Death noticed that Clayton and his friends were a little jumpy and they were all telling a story about how they were almost killed by a hooded figure that resembled Death. Upon hearing this Death's friends were immediately interested in what Death had done after Dante had dropped him off at home.

"Was it you that almost killed those three?" Dante asked. Death looked at him but didn't answer.

"I know you heard my question! You can't just ignore me!" Dante whined like a little kid. Death pinched the bridge of his nose and looked back at his friends.

"Yes it was me, but they thought I was actually Death. I didn't look like myself so they have no idea what they actually saw last night," Death explained.

"Should've killed them off," Adrian mumbled under his breath.

"I don't kill out of cold blood. The only killing I ever do is if they are on the List. I've told you guys this already," Death said.

"I think it was smart of you to not kill them," Arabella said. She seemed to be the only one that thought this. The other two boys didn't seem to agree with her thought.

"So what I'm hearing is that you won't kill them then?" Dante asked.

"No, I'm not going to kill them Dante," Death sighed. All three of them went their separate ways to their classes and just as Death was about to enter his class he heard something collapse behind him. Death looked behind him and saw Nathan who had just passed out. Death knelt beside him and tried to wake him up but nothing was working.

"Look at the poor defenseless human. Pitiful isn't it?" someone said behind him. Death looked behind him and saw a tall, dark figure looming behind him. He looked at the person a little longer. Death didn't know who this guy was. He was a complete stranger. Death stood to his full height and he was about two inches taller than the person in front of him.

"Who are you?" Death asked. The stranger threw his head back in laughter. Death got a better look at the stranger when he was laughing. He had short black hair and a light skin tone. He was bigger built than what Death was and Death could see scars snaking their way up his arms.

"You're funny," the stranger said after he had finished laughing. Death stepped back a little. His eyes frightened Death and they looked almost too familiar. Dark red eyes stared back at him.

"I'm new around here. Don't have anywhere to go so I'm staying with someone who was nice enough to take me in, but then again I'm guessing you want the real story don't you, Death?"

"You're my replacement aren't you?" Death spat. He laughed once more and gave an evil grin.

"That's right. I heard you call yourself Cain? First murderer, very creative,"

"That's right, and who are you portraying?"

"Ash Matthews," Death backed away from his replacement. A devilish grin spread across his face as he stared Death down.

"Last name sound familiar to you?"

Death regained his cool and looked at his counterpart. He wouldn't let him get the best of him.

"Let me guess, you're supposed to be my brother?"

"I guess you're smarter than what I pegged you for. That's correct big brother, and it just so happens that the grave digger was nice enough to take in his precious Cain's brother,"

Death simply smiled. He had lost the ability to speak. This was bad. This was very bad. Joe had just welcomed in another Death into his home and this one wasn't there to play nice.