Chapter 13

After school Death went to find Arabella. He had to make sure that she didn't say anything to anyone about his true identity. He walked around the school for as long as he could before the buses left. He didn't find her. Death boarded the bus and sat in the back with Dante. He leaned his head back against the seat.

"You okay over there Cain? You look sick," Dante stated.

"I'm fine," Death answered. Dante didn't ask for more of an explanation. He put in his earbuds and blocked out the rest of the world. The two were silent for the whole bus ride. Once Death reached his house he went inside and flopped on the couch. Joe was asleep in his chair so he didn't hear Death enter the house. After a few minutes Death got off the couch and walked into the kitchen. He found the paper with Doctor Jules number on it and called it. The phone rang a few times before she answered.

"Is everything okay with Joe?" she immediately asked.

"Yea, I was just wondering if I could talk to Arabella," Death responded.

"Yea, let me go get her. She just got home," she stated. Death heard her muffled shouts and Arabella's reply. After a few minutes Arabella's voice replaced her mother's on the phone.

"Hello?"

"It's me,"

"What do you want?"

"Look, I know that you think you know who I am but you don't know the whole story,"

"Can you hold on for a second?"

Silence echoed between the two. Death could hear Arabella going up the stairs and getting away from her mom. He heard a door shut and she began to talk.

"I know who you are. You're Death,"

"I'm Cain, and I need to talk to you in person,"

"Why?"

"You need to know the whole story Arabella. You have to know okay. Just come to the cemetery and we can talk there, please,"

"Fine, I'll be there in ten minutes,"

"Okay,"

The phone went silent and Death hung the phone back up. Joe was still asleep so Death wrote him a note stating that he was taking the dogs for a walk. He set it on the counter and shuffled the three dogs out of the house. Death walked to the cemetery with the three dogs trailing ahead. He kept an eye out for Arabella and decided to wait. He sat down on one of the stones and watched the entrance. It seemed like hours before Arabella showed up. She pulled her car into the entrance of the cemetery and got out. She looked around for him but the dogs beat him to her. Wolfie ran up to her barking. She leaned against her car and turned away from Wolfie. Death got off the stone he had perched on and walked over to Wolfie. He grabbed his collar and made him sit. Arabella opened her eyes and saw him.

"Alright, I'm here so what did you need to tell me?"

Death took a deep breath and tried to think about how he wanted to phrase what he wanted to say.

"I was supposed to kill you,"

"What?"

"I was supposed to kill you but I didn't,"

Arabella looked at him but he could tell that she was processing his words. He didn't say anything else. He waited for her to realize what he said.

"That day you came in my house. That was the day you were going to kill me,"

Death nodded in response.

"Why didn't you?"

"I couldn't,"