Chapter 24

Death was nervously drumming his gloved fingers on the table. His friends hadn't noticed Clayton and his posse yet. He silently hoped that they wouldn't bother them and they would just go away. That didn't work though. Dante had also noticed them and was vey vocal about his opinion on Clayton being there.

"Hey Clayton no animals are allowed in the coffee shop!" Dante yelled at him. Clayton narrowed his eyes and gave Dante a mean look.

"Obviously they made an exception if they allowed your group inside," Clayton retorted. Dante went to say something else but Death gave him a look that said to shut up.

"Don't say another word," Death growled at him. Dante slouched in his seat and drank some of his coffee. It was already too late to pull out a white flag and call a truce though. Clayton and his posse walked over to their table and pulled chairs up for all of them.

"Got anything else to say to me Grayson?" Clayton asked Dante. Death found it odd how jocks always spoke to one another by their last names. They heard enough of their last names from their coaches.

"Leave him alone Clayton," Adrian said speaking up for his friend.

"Shut up Harrison," Clayton snapped. Death clenched his fist under the table. He had to keep his cool. Arabella noticed this and put her hand on his arm in an attempt to calm him down. Death looked at her and he could tell she didn't want a fight to break out.

"This is going to end ugly so if I was you I would go to the bathroom or wait outside," he whispered. Arabella looked at him in disbelief but nodded her head anyway. She pecked him on the cheek and went outside to one of the tables that was set up.

"Let me guess Matthews, you're going to punch me again?" Clayton sneered. Death looked at him with pure anger and he chuckled a little bit.

"No, but I am going to make you regret messing with us," Death said darkly. Clayton laughed and looked at Death.

"I dare you," Clayton said in a tone that matched Death's. Both Adrian and Dante looked at Death in fear. They didn't think that he would kill Clayton but one touch could make him rot from the inside slowly and painfully. Death picked up Dante's coffee and chucked it at Clayton causing it to make him shriek in surprise as hot coffee spilled on his shirt. Everyone looked over at him. Clayton growled at Death who was smiling at what he had done.

"Oops?" Death stated. Clayton grabbed Death by his shirt and twisted the material.

"I told you to watch your step, but judging your actions you seemed to have forgotten my previous warning," Clayton said harshly at Death. A grin spread across Death's face as he chuckled under his breath.

"I don't follow orders very well Clayton, and unfortunately your going to learn what happens when you don't watch your step around me," Death stated. Death twisted out of Clayton's grip and watched him fall on to the booth. Death jumped on to the table and ran up to the counter.

"You saw nothing," he said to the barista. He laid a hundred dollar bill on the counter top and dashed out of the coffee shop with Dante and Adrian on his heels. Arabella looked up from her phone and examined the three.

"What happened in there?" she asked pointing inside.

"Nothing," all three said in unison. Arabella raised a brow but didn't say anything.

"We can talk in the car. Let's go," Dante said jingling the keys. All four of them piled into Dante's jeep and he drove off. Dante turned the radio off and addressed Death.

"You were so lucky that Clayton didn't smash your face in. I thought for a minute that you were going to kill him," Dante stated.

"Well it's a good thing he didn't kill him. Can you imagine explaining that to the police?" Adrian exasperated.

"What exactly happened when I left?" Arabella asked in a worried tone.

"I just spilled some coffee on Clayton. We threw some threats at one another and then we ran out here and left," Death explained.

"You spilled coffee on him?" Arabella asked. Death nodded in response. Arabella shook her head and looked at the three of them.

"What about everyone who saw this occur?" she asked.

"Minor fight between students who don't like one another," Adrian said.

"I paid off the barista anyway," Death said nonchalantly.

"You paid off the barista?" Dante asked.

"With a hundred dollar bill," Death answered. Both Adrian and Dante high-five him while Arabella looked at him.

"What?" he asked.

"I hope you didn't steal money from Joe," Arabella said.

"No, it was my own money. I had to have some money when I became mortal," Death explained. Dante continued to drive and stopped in front of Death's house.

"I forgot I had homework. My mom just texted me and told me to come home," Dante said. Death nodded and got out of the Jeep. Death looked at the pocket watch and he realized it was only six. Death walked inside and saw Joe watching something on television.

"I'm back," he told him. Joe looked down at his watch and turned around in his chair.

"I thought it would be later before you came home. What happened?" Joe asked.

"Dante had to go back home. He had to do some homework," Death explained. Joe nodded and turned around to face the t.v. again. Death sat down on the couch and watched t.v. with Joe. The movie he was watching was kind of boring but Death didn't say anything about it. Joe eventually dozed off though and Death went outside and walked to the cemetery. He climbed over the gate and went over to a stone to sit down on. Death sat there for hours thinking about the List. He heard people talking and he looked up from the patch of dirt he was staring at. It was Clayton and his friends from the coffee shop. He saw that they were holding a few cartons of eggs and what looked like stones. Death watched where they went and he noticed they were going up the hill to Joe' s house. Death growled under his breath and climbed the fence. He grabbed a stone and hid behind a tree. He chucked it at the guy in the middle and hit him right in the back of the head with a stone.

"Ow!" he exclaimed. He rubbed the back of his head and looked behind him to see who had thrown the stone, but Death was hidden in the shadows.

"Hurry up Nathan!" Clayton whisper yelled at him. Nathan caught back up with his friends and they continued their path to Joe's. Death continued to hide in the trees. He had a plan to stop them and Death would make sure they never dared to come back to his house.

A/N
Do my eyes deceive me? Death didn't hurt Clayton? I'm shocked, but of course there is round two. Clayton and his friends have now decided to egg Joe's house and pelt it with stones. Not on Death's watch. They better watch where they step or they might not walk away from this 'harmless' prank. My sincerest apologies that I forgot to put the song that was mentioned in the previous chapter on that chapter so I will post it on this one. Ballad of Mona Lisa by Panic! at the Disco is up top. Please vote and comment! Thank you for reading!

-Dragon 🐉