Chapter 16

Death couldn't sleep. He tossed and turned all night. Both of Time's and Life's voices echoed in his head. Death hoped that the List would be done soon. He wanted to get this job over with quickly so the voices would stop haunting his thoughts. Death eventually laid on his side and shut his eyes. It was a few hours later when Joe came in to wake him up for school, but Death was already awake.

"Time to wake up Cain," Joe said.

"I'm up," Death muttered. Joe walked out of his room and left the door open a crack. Death stretched and looked around his room. Wolfie was still snoring on the bed. He changed into a plain black shirt and jeans and went out to the kitchen. Joe was already eating his breakfast when Death came into the room. He looked up from his eggs and gave him an odd look.

"You alright Cain?" he asked in a concerned tone.

"Yea, I just didn't get enough sleep," he answered. Joe nodded. Death put some eggs on his plate and he joined Joe at the table. They ate in silence and listened to the radio. Death heard the bus down the road and he grabbed his backpack by the door.

"Bye Joe!" Death shouted out the door. He climbed on to the bus and sat in the back seat with Adrian who was finishing his homework. Death snorted at him.

"What?"

"I see someone didn't finish their homework,"

"I forgot about it. Dante reminded me last night,"

The bus jolted to a stop and Adrian's stuff went flying under the seat. Death couldn't help but laugh. Adrian scrambled to collect his papers and his book. All of them were stained black and brown from the debris on the bus. Adrian scrunched his nose at his papers and shut them in his book. Death was trying to catch his breath from laughing so hard.

"It's not funny Cain!"

"Maybe not to you but it is to me,"

The bus rolled to another stop and Dante got on. He already had his earbuds in and he sat in the seat with Adrian and him. Adrian scooted over all the way to the wall and Death got squished between the two of them. Death pulled out one of his earbuds.

"Couldn't you have sat somewhere else?"

Dante looked very angry at Death who was still holding his earbud in his hand. He snatched it from him and answered.

"I wanted to sit with my friends,"

"There's a seat right there," Death stated pointing at the seat across the aisle. Dante shook his head.

"It's too far away. I'm siting here,"

Death just rolled his eyes. He knew better than to argue with Dante. It was pointless. The rest of the bus ride was cramped and uncomfortable. At one point Dante decided that he wanted to check his homework so he had to lift his bag from off the floor.

"Move your foot Cain,"

"You don't need your bag,"

"I want to check my homework to make sure the answers are right,"

"The answers are right. You don't need to check them,"

"How do you know?"

"I mentally checked them. You got a hundred percent,"

Dante looked at him and smiled. He leaned against the seat and turned the volume up on his music. Death didn't know how Dante's eardrums hadn't burst yet from how loud the music was. He was listening to the song Teenagers by Chemical Romance. Death hummed along to it and before he knew it the bus was pulling into the school. They stormed off the bus with the rest of the students and filed into the school. Death went to his locker and put his backpack inside. He heard his lock flip up and he directed his attention to the culprit who had done it, Roxanne.