Chapter 1

The smell of ashes can be smelled for miles. The little house on the corner that no one ever really noticed before is burning to the ground. Red and orange flames lick the house and destroy anything in its path. The sound of people screaming for help can be heard inside. A dark figure stands on the road and watches the scene, but doesn't move to help.This figure is Death, and watching people die is like watching a play being performed. With a snap of his fingers time itself has bent to his will. The fire has been scorched and the bodies of the family that was inside now lay motionless. The first body is of a man in his late thirties. His skin is scorched and burnt to a crisp from the fire. Death hovers his hand above the man's burnt body and a light dusting of particles come out of the man. It's the man's soul being sucked out of him. The dust gets herded into a bottle and corked. Death smiles at the bottle and puts it in his bag. The next body is a woman. Death wastes no time on taking the woman's soul and putting it in a bottle. Death is a little slower to take the soul of the last body though. It's a child. A toddler that couldn't have been more than two. The life of the child was stolen from her. Death plucked a flower from the grass with a gloved hand and, he laid the flower next to the child and took her soul. He stood in the center of the wreckage and began to sing to the bodies.

Come with me my friend
To a place only you and I will know
I will be your heart and soul
Your life has been complete
This your heart knows

Come with me my friend
On a journey to the unknown
Let your heart fall silent
Listen to me and you shall be free

Come with me my friend
To a place that only you will know
Let me see your heart and soul
Break away from the bonds of this life

Be free my friend
Fly away from this place
For nothing can hold you back
Come with me my friend

After Death had finished his ballad he disappeared from Earth, leaving the burned house and family behind. Almost in an instant, Death arrived at the drop off where the souls would go to their final resting place. Death uncorked the three bottles and sent them on their way. After the particles disappeared from his sight he took out his tattered, ancient list and marked off their names. Jamming the list back into his bag, Death went to meet his colleagues and boss at the Great Hall. Death made his way across the road and came upon the glorious building. It was the color of ivory and fresh snow. It was so bright that Death squinted at the building and looked down at the cobbles beneath his feet. After he had regained his sight Death plastered a smile on his face, pulled on his black leather gloves and walked to the doors. He threw both of the great doors open and walked inside. The angel at the desk gave him a warning look, but he continued on his way to the room everyone was meeting in. Death arrived at the doors and upon opening them he realized he was the last one to arrive at the meeting. His boss, the Devil, looked at him with anger, but said nothing as he took a seat at his side.

"Late again," Devil muttered under his breath. Death just smiled at the comment not bothering to answer. In front of him was Time, Love, Life, and Angel.

"Sorry I was late everyone, but then again I'm sure you didn't miss me much," Death stated to his colleagues. Angel looked at him angrily and her wings flicked impatiently every once in a while. Love didn't say anything, as usual. Life simply rolled his eyes at Death. Time on the other hand, looked ticked.

"You alright over there Time?" Death asked his colleague. The older looking gentleman, also known as Time, twitched at Death speaking to him. He was very agitated at the dark Power.

"You stole my pocket watch!" Time erupted. Death looked taken aback, but he quickly redeemed his smooth demeanor and grinned at Time.

"Now, why would you blame me?" Death asked. Time growled and tried to lunge at Death. Life held him back and sat him back down in his seat. Death smiled at Time. The game of Cat and Mouse was often played between the two Powers, and Death was always the cat. He teased Time and stole his things. They were usually returned to Time, but they were always broken. Time was breathing with anger in every breath he took. Death said nothing. He waited for Time to say some petty threat, like he always did.