Chapter 9

Death watched Arabella make her way through the cemetery. She didn't stop at any of the headstones. She kept walking through and made her way to the highway. Death moved from stone to stone. Arabella quickly crossed the road and began to make her way to Joe's house. Death sprinted around the stones and went the back way to the house. He entered the house just as a knock sounded on the door.

"Cain are you back!" Joe yelled.

"Yea! I'll get the door!" Death answered. The dogs were close on Death's heels as he walked to the door. He opened the door and Arabella stood on the other side.

"Hey your Arabella right?" Death asked.

"Yea, and your Cain right?" she asked in the same tone. Death smiled at her. He didn't know what else to do.

"Cain who's at the door?" Joe asked him. Death went to answer him but Joe was already by his side.

"Hello Arabella. What brings you by?"

"Hi Joe. My mom wanted me to run your medicine over to you. She's at home sick so she couldn't do it,"

Arabella handed Joe a package full of medicine. He took it from her and put it on the table by the door.

"Cain don't be rude. Invite the girl in," Joe said as he began to waddle back into the kitchen to check on the food.

"Do you want to come in?"

"I would love to," Death stood aside and allowed Arabella to come in. The dogs instantly began to jump on her. She put her hands up and tried to walk through them. Death went in front of her and made them sit down.

"Not a huge dog person?"

"I'm just not around dogs a lot. We don't have any pets because my dad is allergic to dogs and my mom is allergic to cats,"

"Oh,"

The two were silent for a few minutes. Neither knew what to say to the other. The sound of Joe moving throughout the kitchen and the radio playing were the only sounds.

"I better get going. My mom will be wondering where I am," Arabella said breaking the silence.

"Are you sure? You can stay and eat with us,"

"I appreciate the offer but I can't. See you at school Cain," Arabella said. She exited the house and let Death standing there dumbfounded.

"Food is ready," Joe said. Death shook his head and looked at Joe who was grinning at him.

"You'll catch flies if you keep your mouth open for too long," Joe stated. Death rolled his eyes at him and made his way to the table where two bowls of chili were waiting. The television ran the news as the two ate. Neither really paid attention to it though.

"Why did Arabella give you pills?"

"There for my cancer. They think it will delay it from spreading but I don't know if the pills are really working or not,"

"Then why don't you ask for something else?"

"It's not that simple Cain,"

"Just ask for different pills. I'm sure they have something else that could help you,"

"Enough Cain. We are done with this conversation so drop it,"

Death quieted down and ate his chili. The two were quiet for the rest of the meal. After he finished eating Death put his bowl in the sink and began to walk to his room.

"Cain?"

Death turned around and looked at Joe who was still in the kitchen feeding the dogs.

"Yea?"